Lure Retrievers

bryand82487

Now that I'm starting to invest in some expensive baits I was thinking about getting a lure retriever. I've never owned or used one mainly because it doesn't bother me to lose a 5 dollar crank bait every now and then, but these $50 and more baits would probably make me sick. Does anyone else use one? Do they work well with swimbaits or make one specifically for swimbaits? I was looking at getting one of these.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Daiwa_Lure_Retriever/descpage-DLR.html

Sorry bryand to piggy back on your thread but I am also interested in getting one, but I need to know if any for those who do use them use them from shore?

I don't think you could ever get the lure retriever all the way to the bait from shore if it was a long ways out and if you could I don't think it would have the momentum to knock the bait free. Maybe someone has a solution for you though.

I carry a combination of two different lure retrievers in the boat. I use a 44 Mag. with chains for deeper stuff, and a telescoping corkscrew pole model for shallower stuff, say 12'-14' and under.

This won't keep you from breaking baits off on the cast, it's gonna happen, it's happened to most of us. But if it's stuck in a tree, brush, fishing line, or on the bottom, I'm doing my best to get them back.

Bait loss is simply unacceptable! :evil:

ry3D400.jpg

BBI

:D

I carry a combination of two different lure retrievers in the boat. I use a 44 Mag. with chains for deeper stuff, and a telescoping corkscrew pole model for shallower stuff, say 12'-14' and under.

This won't keep you from breaking baits off on the cast, it's gonna happen, it's happened to most of us. But if it's stuck in a tree, brush, fishing line, or on the bottom, I'm doing my best to get them back.

Bait loss is simply unacceptable! :evil:

ry3D400.jpg

BBI

:D

-

+1. Just like BBI, I've got the 44 Mag, a telescoping type, a cast net and snorkel stuff in the boat. Over the years, it's all been used a few times to get baits back. :lol:

-

That would be a tough one from shore though. I can't help but think a float tube or snorkel stuff may be the best bet. You kinda need to get over the baits for the knocker types to slide down the line and do their thing. But I'm just guessing here. ;)

I've tried most, keep going back to the old HOUND DOG style. I have mine mounted on a old xxh rod cut down to 5ft. The trick to getting lures free is to be on top of the lure vertical if possible and to use the weight of the knocker to tap it free. The larger the lure the easier it is to get free,usually.Hope this helps.