Dobyns Champ 796 for a 250?

dub4502

Hey guys, sooo I picked up a Dobyns Champ 796SB during the TW Christmas sale. Ideally would've liked to gotten the 807 to really give me a good range of weights. Butttt they didn't have and couldn't resist the 796 for 189. So far the rod has worked great for everything I throw, the biggest has been an 8" hudd, which it seems to throw ok. That brings me to my questions, i've been looking into getting a slide swimmer, originally was looking at the 175 but after reading alot of reviews and opinions, seems like alot prefer the action of the 250 over the 175 no matter your location in the country. How do you guys think the 796 will handle a 250? No prob, ehh soo soo, or dont do it haha.... Thanks in advance guys!

I did the same thing hah!  I got that rod and i actually bought a 250 but havent had a chance to fish it yet.  I am pretty sure its going to feel to heavy for that rod though.  The 8 inch hud seemed like about as heavy as i would want to go so, we will see.

I did the same thing hah!  I got that rod and i actually bought a 250 but havent had a chance to fish it yet.  I am pretty sure its going to feel to heavy for that rod though.  The 8 inch hud seemed like about as heavy as i would want to go so, we will see.

Yea I was kind of thinking the same thing, the hudd seems about the max i'd feel comfortable with...but i'm also not used to slinging big baits, so everything feels somewhat heavy haha....

You will probably snap the rod lol, if you don't you'll snap the bait off. I had issues with a stouter rod with the 250, and dobyns normally overrates.

Yeaaa I figured no way would I be throwing 8oz's on that thing hahah....

I would say you may be able to sort of gently lob a 250 with that rod, but you are not going to be casting it comfortably.  On the other hand its a great rod for the Deps 175.  You will never find one rod that will cover all the swimbait weights.  But add something like a Dobyns 867 or a  LDC XH and you will cover 95% of the swimbaits used in New England.  Until you get a heavier rod you should stick to baits lighter than the 250.

I would say you may be able to sort of gently lob a 250 with that rod, but you are not going to be casting it comfortably.  On the other hand its a great rod for the Deps 175.  You will never find one rod that will cover all the swimbait weights.  But add something like a Dobyns 867 or a  LDC XH and you will cover 95% of the swimbaits used in New England.  Until you get a heavier rod you should stick to baits lighter than the 250.

Thanks Wayne! I'll head the advice and go with a 175 for now. Get a heavier rod down the road, those LDCs look real nice.