Pike on swimbaits

kyle b

Hello, first post on the forum.

I will be moving to the Idaho panhandle this summer and want to target pike on swimbaits. Does anybody have any suggestions on what kind of baits I should try? from what i hear they aren't too picky.I would think to stay away from expensive soft plastics like the huddleston due to their teeth.

Anything soft plastic will eventually require a bottle of mend it and in some cases a replacement tail or 2.

Personaly, i use a lot of big soft plastic simply because it is very effective. 11 to 16 inch baits such as those by savage gear (rattle shad trout and line thru trout) work really well in europe for big pike.

The bulldawg style soft plastic lures that are found in the muskie market also work well.

Hard baits also work well but I dont usually fish them so I cant give any advice.

The smaller size baits also work well but I usually avoid them because I like to target big pike and also smaller lures tend to gill hook pike more often

I kill em on both big soft baits and big hard baits. Summertime hardbaits I go with bluegill and perch baits. They can't keep their toothy lips off of a Mattlures Hardgill or Hard bass in perch pattern. Lucky lures esox junior and Lucky perch (if you can get em).. Bullshooters 160 and 190 drive em crazy too. You just can't get butthurt when your hardbaits get chewed up..And one last reminder..Don't forget that leader!

For me, I still use soft swimbaits, just not the expensive ones. I'll throw a big soft swimbait like a big Keitech or Basstrix on magnum underspin. The pike seem to love them that little flash in addition to the swimming action of the bait. That way, I can Mend-It as I go and I don't feel too bad when a swimbait I can buy in packs of 5-6 gets torn up.

You can get into them with hardbaits, too. BBZs work great, S-Wavers work great, Shellcrackers work, etc. Match the forage in your area. I don't throw expensive or hard-to-get hard baits at pike. You won't find me throwing my Deps Slide Swimmers at pike, with the exception of my 175 Firetiger. I don't know that I'll ever get to the point in my life where dropping a $100 bait to a 25" pike seems acceptable.

Definitely use a leader. Eric Aske detailed a good set up that I use that's easy. I'll roll with 50-65 lb fluoro, although it's on the lighter side for a toothy fish leader, because I find that bigger leaders will kill the action on a glide bait. Just my opinion.

I fish northern Idaho a bunch. if I am targeting pike ill fish triple trouts, those Savage gear glides so I don't get upset when they get mangled, or a rising son. They love to rip hudds in half. You will need to figure out leader for sure. the hammer handle size aren't picky, but trying to target the giants consistently isn't easy, especially after the spring. Message me when you get up this way and we can chat, ill drop a couple good spots for you.

Triple Trouts... they can't not eat them. S-Wavers are another spectacular option. I will agree completely that if you're throwing something you value... go to wire leaders. I've had them slice right through 30 pound floor and mono. I've watched them tail bite and remove large pieces of Hudds and Rising Sons... but they are biting them, often incredibly hard and fast. They will flat get after topwater wake baits, ploppers, and walkers too! 

There's a small handful of us on here that fish the handle... CDA, Hayden, Hauser (musky), and a couple other great options up here for Pike... and tons of great lakes for bass too! Let me, NW Kurt, Tack Dreaming, or PJArneson get out with you sometime! 

I will disagree for HAVING to use wire. The leader argument is always such a big fight between people that fish for ESOX. If you are comfortable with it, use it. Larger test fluorocarbon (80lb+) works great on up and into the fall in our area. Once you get into that fall bite I go to wire 100% of the time.

thanks for the help, it is appreciated. What time of year do you typically find pike willing to take a bait presented on the surface?

anytime of the year. There is not a month in the year I have not caught pike on a swimbait or a fly as long as there is open water