Offshore gliding and swimbaits?

Tyler Schmidt

Played around on a new lake with quality fish in it. They stack up on ledges similar to Guntersville, Pickwick, etc (except there is no current here). Bottom bounced a hudd, savage gear real trout, a big hollow body on a 1/2oz jighead, and a 3/4oz underspin with a big paddle tail. Caught a 7 and a handful of 2s on the underspin but they wouldn't touch the other swimbaits. Has anyone had success on a big glide fished in 10-25ft? I'm thinking if I can tune my 250 to stay a couple feet off of the bottom it may work. Thoughts? 

post-24294-0-43759500-1493490583_thumb.jpg Just a small portion of the school I was on.

Edited by GSUbasser

This might work. I haven't used this technique deeper than ten or fifteen feet but I could run deeper.

That is awesome, I will try to give that a shot.

I wanted to see a marlin

Me too...I am 45 minutes from prime mahi mahi and sailfish waters so maybe some day soon

i know guys that let their glides sink all the way to the bottom and rest for a while then they give them hard rips and start the retrieve in or let it pause and rip it again. I guess with the fish looking at it they trigger reactions with the glides. I knows guys that do this with many glides including a 250 and stick blimps. I dont fish that deep lol

Edited by Ceaser

i know guys that let their glides sink all the way to the bottom and rest for a while then they give them hard rips and start the retrieve in or let it pause and rip it again. I guess with the fish looking at it they trigger reactions with the glides. I knows guys that do this with many glides including a 250 and stick blimps. I dont fish that deep lol

Man I can't bring myself to let a deps 250 or Roman Made sink to the bottom. Places I fish have too many stumps and crap in the water.

IMO, the big bait bite in deeper water is under utilized.

I think it is due to the risk of losing baits (leading to lack of confidence), but a good lure retriever can minimize the risk. One thing that caught my eye, was posted by Brock Hiroshima. It was a Godzilla with some mods to help fish deeper structure. 

Using the Godzilla, I believe he is targeting deeper brush piles where the bass can be tuned in on Crappie.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRD_xdxliw4/?taken-by=hiroshimacustoms

I think it is due to the risk of losing baits (leading to lack of confidence), but a good lure retriever can minimize the risk. One thing that caught my eye, was posted by Brock Hiroshima. It was a Godzilla with some mods to help fish deeper structure. 

Using the Godzilla, I believe he is targeting deeper brush piles where the bass can be tuned in on Crappie.

I did order the daiwa lure retriever the other day, along with some heavy fluro and tuning weights to try to keep it down. Not super concerned about losing it. Went back to the same lake today and jumped off a 6 at the boat on a hudd and bent the hook out on the hudd on a bigger one several casts later. Hopefully the sticky trebles of the 250 will keep them hooked up. 

I live and fish on KY lake and I agree that the big bait bite in deep water is very, very under utilized. Especially on the T.V.A. lake system. I feel like it's an untapped resource. There 8 and 9 inch gizzard shads roaming in those lakes and I know big fish key in on them. I'm not worried about losing a bait so much myself....that's part of fishing. I just cant seem to figure it out out wide either. I can catch a few fish here and there but there's many, many casts with nothing and the bites are certainly few and far between. I've said for about 2 years now that if someone can unlock that mystery during ledge time, they will make a lot of money and turn a lot of heads. This is something that I really plan to try and figure out this year.

This may be worth checking out for some of you. I recently purchased one but haven't used it yet because our season is still closed. Anyways watch the entire video, Craig Crossman makes some cool baits!

https://youtu.be/OJSqkXRnvo8

It looks like he has a Carolina rig weight in front of it keeping it down. Very interesting, I dig the top hooks. 

Edited by GSUbasser