A little help from NorCal guys...

Bloodkitty

If I posted this in the wrong forum, please let me know--

What's going on: May 7 is my birthday. Last year I decided that from then on out I will take a trip to somewhere I've never been every May.  So, this year I'm planning a road trip up to NorCal. Roughly the May 16-June 4. I've got an Air BnB on Clear Lake (near Beakban Island) from May 20-26. 

The plan: I'll be camping the rest of the time and hitting up Berryessa, Trinity, Whiskeytown and possibly Shasta.  Mainly targeting smallmouth, except for Clear Lake. Berryessa, my plan is to target all three. To my knowledge, I've never caught a spotted bass...so I wouldn't hate catching one of those either.

My background: I've lived in LA for 13 years. I grew p fishing all the time, but it was an afterthought when I moved to SoCal until last year.  I'm still new to swimbaits, and I love them, but I also use conventional gear and believe I have a lot to learn doing so. I grew up on Pickwick and Wilson in Alabama...where I was out fishing all the time

Boat: I'll be bringing my canoe with trolling motor, but as long as the boat rental prices aren't too much, I'd be open to renting if need be.

Homework: I've been doing my homework on Navionics and the Clear Lake/Berryessa Fish-N-Maps. I'm ordering the rest of the Fish-N-Maps for the other lakes today. 

Where I'd love help: Any and all fishing recommendations, camping, bars, restaurants, "stay away froms" and can't miss touristy spots are welcome. I'm an extremely curious person, so even if it's not fishing related, and something nerdy,  it would still be appreciated. 

Hope you guys are catching some pigs!

Sam

P.S. I'd love to go out with any of you experienced guys.  Gas or dinner or beer is on me. Just let me know if you've got an open seat and we'll figure something out.

If you have any questions about Shasta or Trinity lake, shoot me a pm.

Thanks, man. Will do.

If you decide on the delta at all I can make an open seat happen..it's 3 hours from clear lake but 90 min from berryessa..shoot me a pm if interested

if you lookin for a delta plug I can make something happen as well, dont see myself making it up to clearlake soon though. 

Slant and Mole, Thanks! Yeah, I'll hit you guys up when I get my schedule figured out. I'm sure I can work the Delta in there.

The way this season has shaped up and the weather we are starting to see now i don't think it will be problem getting bites. Youll catch plenty of spots up north and CL should be cracking off pretty good. Good luck

The way this season has shaped up and the weather we are starting to see now i don't think it will be problem getting bites. Youll catch plenty of spots up north and CL should be cracking off pretty good. Good luck

Yeah, it looks like it will be good from what I've been reading. Thanks!

With your canoe setup, fish lake Hennessey...think of it as "mini Clear Lake."

I'll check it out. Thanks, man!

Where I'd love help: Any and all fishing recommendations, camping, bars, restaurants, "stay away froms" and can't miss touristy spots are welcome.

The way my season has been going im better off giving drinking advice lol. In santa rosa make a pit stop at Russian River brewing. Pliny is probably the most hyped craft beer on the planet, even if you dont drink beer a case of it is worth its trade weight in gold with beer hipsters and bearded fat guys. If theres a line to get in just walk to the front and tell them you just want to buy beer and dont need a table. Theres also bear republic and lagunitas on the way up 101.

The way my season has been going im better off giving drinking advice lol. In santa rosa make a pit stop at Russian River brewing. Pliny is probably the most hyped craft beer on the planet, even if you dont drink beer a case of it is worth its trade weight in gold with beer hipsters and bearded fat guys. If theres a line to get in just walk to the front and tell them you just want to buy beer and dont need a table. Theres also bear republic and lagunitas on the way up 101.

That's perfect! Thanks, man. I'm a bearded beer drinker myself, but I hate hipsters. Living in LA I've learned how to tune them out though haha. I'll hit a couple of those up for sure. Hope the fishing gets better!

I camped at clear lake state park for my stay last year. The restrooms are clean along with the showers, theres also plenty of hot water. The ranger station was almost always loaded with fire wood. hit up angels rock house, get a wet burrito and you'll have food for 3 people.

I camped at clear lake state park for my stay last year. The restrooms are clean along with the showers, theres also plenty of hot water. The ranger station was almost always loaded with fire wood. hit up angels rock house, get a wet burrito and you'll have food for 3 people.

This is good to know. I've got an Air BnB on Clear Lake for a week, but I might be bumming around up there for a while. Thanks a ton!

Good luck with the spots if your trying to just throw bigger swimbaits obviously its all possibel and my pb spot was off a hudd but usualy those resivores other thqn clear lake you are down sizeing for the spots mostly finess but berry has bigger largemouth than clear lake size wise i would say more teeners but clearlake has more abundance of 6-10s so you never know!