Bass being the prey. Help needed.

BamaChild

I fish a lake that has a strong population of hybrid striped bass. The strippers can get up to 40 lbs and they eat the bass and are the dominant predator. How would this impact largemouth and spotted bass location and what swimbait to throw? I have yet to hear of a similar situation.

I fish a lake that has a strong population of hybrid striped bass. The strippers can get up to 40 lbs and they eat the bass and are the dominant predator. How would this impact largemouth and spotted bass location and what swimbait to throw? I have yet to hear of a similar situation.

40lb strippers..they need to eat a sandwich.

Striper are pelagic, largemouth are not. I wouldn't say that they would be competing for food or territory because they inhabit separate areas of most bodies of water, right?

The striper here in the colordo river lakes eat almost all the same food as the LMB and SMB.

Bluegill, shad, crawdads etc.

Striper are like sharks in my opinion and will eat anything they can catch.

I have no idea about the wipers. Im pretty sure they have a smaller mouth than the striper so that may limit them a little bit.

And yes we have lots of stippers here in vegas but Ive never seen a 40lbr. I would have thrown some extra dollars at her for some burgers!!!

HAHAHA

Striper hybrids are pack animals. In my lake i target them when im not bass fishing. I actually chased them 1st. The yellow bass are up front and up top of the pack when they move in an area, white bass behind them and then the big hybrids behind or below. Hyrid will usually anything a bass will baitfish wise. Most in my lake only eat the threadfin, and so does the really really large bass in my lake ignoring the crayfish, crappie and bluegill. Now its funny at certain areas and like time work in big schools of the 3 they will move in and eat voraciosly. Ive seen hydrid eat their own relative species the yellow bass at these times even. All of the sudden a huge hybrid will come to shore and swallow a big yellow in a hurry. Theres more than that that i could say bout this but its really fun to figure it out for yourself. Spend a season and actually get on a packs feeding location. They will actually come up to your feet or body like its no bodys business

All sized hybrid pulls like a runnaway train and doesnt stop till it dies here in tx. Ive fought stiper, redfish, freshwater drum, shark, bass, sandies, yellows and hybrids and beleive me the hybrids are the beast of them all. If you could consider striper hard running try a hybrid. They dont stop until the latic acid builds up so much the fish freeze there bodys till there hard solid like a rock- not like a striper with just one solid run then gives up.

Bass in my lake hug the shore line on certain points with a few big ones on off shore structure where hybrids continue to cruise the entire lake and all depts like a shark somebody already stated and yes they will eat the smaller bass.

Big bass learn what to eat that packs on the weight the most. See what the striper are eating 1st. The lake more than likely has a very Veryyyy healthy population of shad in it if hybrids are being stocked in it. Second thing, big Bigggg bass probly already taken note to this and are more than likey eating the shad as well and packing on the calories. They may even be ignoring the sunfish, crappie and crayfish i bet. I would throw a swimbait colored matching lure the hybrids are predominately eating in a area that you already know where big bass are more likely to be i.e. shoreline structure and away from hyrid structure.

Try shallow cove points that are near a deep basin part of the lake. If there is a ridge following around the cove like a ledge try and find a pocket or cut out and cast your lure into that paralel from shore. I would also look for a jetting out point of land that seperates deep from shallow and cast from the shallow side into the deep end and burn the bait in. If you can find a brush point and stumpie area between the two more than likely a big Big bass will hold that area as it stages on the deeper end. The BIG bass usually stays very close to that type of cover extreemly close. May be a window area the size of a dinner table yoir casting into. The bass there are staging an ambush spot