1/2 Marathon

JDHanson79

So this Saturday is the 13th annual MCAS Cherry point 1/2 Marathon. I have never ran one so I decided to get after it. I had started a training schedule about 7 weeks back that lasted about four weeks. I am a martial arts instructor for the Marine Corps and have spent the last four week teaching. Never really took the time to get out and run like I should have. Got out yesterday and ran 7 miles just at an hour. My goal is to run the 1/2 in two hours or less. Just wanted to see if there is any one else here that has ran a 1/2 marathon before, any tips?

Joshua

take aspirin before the run. Keeps inflamation of the joints down.

Pace yourself.....try and stick to your set pace for the first half of the race especially. Ie 8 min mile pace for the first half then the back half run at the pace you feel is right

Obviously lots of water....big carb meal a day or 2 before the race

Hope these help....btw I am no pro

take aspirin before the run. Keeps inflamation of the joints down.

Pace yourself.....try and stick to your set pace for the first half of the race especially. Ie 8 min mile pace for the first half then the back half run at the pace you feel is right

Obviously lots of water....big carb meal a day or 2 before the race

Hope these help....btw I am no pro

I would skip the aspirin, simply because you should never try something new on race day.

Carb meals will help but I wouldn't get crazy crushing pasta. I don't think you really need to "carb load" for a half. Eat what you normally would, unless it's fast food, which you shouldn't be eating anyway. A nice baked potato or a bowl of pasta the night before and a bottle of gatorade the morning of the race should suffice.

Water, gatorade... stay hydrated, but again, don't get crazy.

I think the biggest thing of what Booms said, is PACE YOURSELF. Anybody who has run any "race", whether it be a 5k or the full 26.2 knows you're screwed if you come out of the gate too fast. Take your time, run smart, and finish strong.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll kick ass.

HELL YEAH!!!!

I assume it's a closed circuit course. I'd advise a negative split (start slow and turn it on during the 2nd half.) people new to races and running tend to start way too fast and screw up their times in the 1st few miles. block out the others runners and find that rhythm. run hard...it sucks to put effort into something and fall short of your goals. I did my half in 1.28.12 but am more of a long distance runner. like others have said..proper diet and hydration starting 3 days out. get there early

Yeah make sure you wear clothes you have run in before. People get all caught up in looking cool for their race and buy things that they haven't run in before and end up in bloody messes. Find a pace group that is gonna run your time and hang with them until about 10-11 miles then if you feel good kick it up and finish strong. Good luck brother! You will be fine at a little slower pace then what you ran the 7 miles in the other day.

Well I finished :D I ran the whole time and ran it in 2:03. For my first one I am good with that considering the last four weeks I really fell off the training schedule I was running. I felt great until the 8 mile mark that is when the pain set in :x my right knee really started to bug me but I finished. Don't think I am going to go fishing like I had planned to though. Thanks for the ideas guys. Going to take the rest of the day and chill!

Joshua