Hudds in summer

Hail

Ok guys, been studying up and working towards acquiring a few baits to get comfortable with. My question is about hudds in warm water. It seems that most guys are throwing them fall,winter and early spring. Am I just not seeing info about throwing them in the summer? Or do other baits just work better in the summer? I have been throwing bull gills, mini slammers and johnny rats but wanted to get into glides and hudds. Any suggestions are appreciated. Keep in mind that no one throws big baits around here. Thanks.

A local guy caught a 12 pounder'er on a hud in the middle of summer.

Was fishing a 8" ROF16. He vertically fishes them, almost like a big blade bait.  Drops them down on slack line, gives it a few pops, and rips them up, and repeats.

His general opinion on it is something along the lines of, "The return was not worth the time he put in". There are better ways to target summer time/ warm water fish.

Not sure about that. Hudds can be trickier in summer due to weed growth. Some very good sticks out here have been throwing rof 0 at night along coon tail edges etc...I would agree that hudds are great baits in colder water. There are just too many more fun options in the summer imo, slammers, pats, topwaters etc.

The 2 lakes I'm concentrating on typically develop a thermocline around 12-15'. One is about 135 acres and an average depth of 8'. They stock about 12,000 trout in October. The other is a 400 acre lake. A ton of 9" crappies and 12-14" carp. Shocking reports/studies showed 5 fish over 10 pounds in one area. Our state record is 10.12. Guess it's a good goal to shoot for.