Lunker Punker Alternatives

JPS_wade_for_it

Hey guys,

This is my first post on the underground and I just want to say that I've been very impressed with the way that this community operates. You guys have got it figured out.

My question for you all is concerning an alternative to a lunker punker. I love the action of this bait but don't really have the swimbait budget for it just yet. I was wondering if anyone had used anything similar but on the lower end of the financial spectrum? Something with the same action that can be walked slowly, to in essence have the same drawing power and subtly as a glide. I've experimented with wake baits this past summer, loved them, but I'm looking for a very specific action to add to my arsenal.

Thanks guys, tight lines.

What size range do you need? If you want a giant walking lure you can get a msky mania doc for around 25 bucks. Its basically a 9" heddon spook but it has a great wide gliding action. It is huge tho and musky mania makes a 7" version too thats good for bass. You can get the lil doc at bass pro for 18"

I really like the Evergreen Amazon in flat water. Also comes in a great range of colors. It's about six and a half inches and weighs about an ounce and a half.

attachicon.gif1433amazon_bluegill_custom_used.jpg

That Evergreen Amazon was the hot walk the dog bait back in 2007 when I fished Mexico, awesome bait.

post-17904-0-12419900-1508516987_thumb.jpg

I really like the Evergreen Amazon in flat water. Also comes in a great range of colors. It's about six and a half inches and weighs about an ounce and a half.

Been looking for one of these!

If anyone has one, please hit me up!

Thats exactly what I'm looking for!! Perfect size for my application. Thanks for your response!

The Lunker Punker is basically a walk-the-dog type bait that goes a long way back to the wooden Heddon Zaragossa and beyond.  Like 100 years ago long.  Lots of big fish have been taken on the LP.  The OG wooden ones swim fine but some (not all) of the later ones sit sideways.  I believe this has now been corrected.  I only owned one of the plastic LPs and it walked like crap.  I turned it into a bluefish chew toy and they sent it to an early grave.  If you get a good LP down the line its well worth the price.

If you are on a budget there are a lot of muskie/striper walk-the-dog baits that are in the $20-25 range.  Ima Big Sticks, Drifter Docs, Tsunami poppers, etc. You're in Mass so there are lots of striped bass baits that might meet your needs.  Check Red Top and Canal Baits or your local shops.  Just make sure they are floaters if thats what you want.  There are a decent number of cost-effective alternatives out there.  Again this is not to bash the LP- its a really good bait with a history of big fish.