Tranx 400a Compared to Curado 300e - Added Casting Distance

5-20

I have been using a couple of Curado 300e reels for 4-7 oz swimbaits such as hudds and the deps 250 with mostly 20 lb. mono or fluoro.

I noticed a huge increase in casting distance when I started using a Calcutta 400d but I just didn't like the reel that much for a few different reasons and stopped using it.

I think I'd like to give the tranx 400a a shot since it's somewhat similar to the curado 300e in terms of inches per handle turn. The curado picks up 32" and the tranx picks up 30".

Only reason I am thinking about doing this is to hopefully pick up anywhere from 30-50+ feet in added casting distance with those baits. Will that happen?

Appreciate the input. 

Wow going to test that proposition myself. The curado 301s I have r casting marvels. It bombs a baby possum a country mile without a wink on a full spool of 65lb braid. I have never had a reel that could manage braid that well. I stumbled upon the full spool sweetness by chance when I added a third 301 to my collection. I bought Northeast trevs 301 when came fully spooled.

Edited by bigpoppabass

I just received my tranx 300 today and first impressions, i think is one of the smoothest reels i own besides the metanium mgl. Its not hard to palm at all (Im 15 years old) and fits very nice on my dobyns 795. Planning to put 25lb mono and throw swaver, hudds, and deps 175 with it. I highly recommend it.

Could be that the line just comes off a round reel better than a low profile. To get an extra 10-15 yards on top of a cast of be interested to see what would cause that. Could be that you just need to clean/ change bearings in your 300e. Could be that you're rod balances better with a round/400D. Could just be that baits. Tough to tell unless you had both and were swapping then out casting the sane bait. Switching to a very similar reel I'd say that no you aren't going to see another 15 yards added from stitching between those 2 reels but who knows.

Thanks Wayne. That’s primarily why i am looking at the 400. I like fishing with 8’ rods. No plans to go any bigger right now. My experience in bombing heavy saltwater plugs helped me find out that the reel’s more important than or just as important as the rod length, especially with fast action rods which is what I like to fish with.

My experience in bombing heavy saltwater plugs helped me find out that the reel’s more important than or just as important as the rod length, especially with fast action rods which is what I like to fish with.

In spinning reels it matters more with reel foot angle, spool diameter and arbor, spool depth and chocker guide on you're rod. Baitcast not as much.

Distance has been one of the things I've tried to figure out and really like the round wheels on that aspect. The older Calcutta 400s (b series and te) has a disengaged line guide (moves left and right) when casting. Add bearings on top and you can bomb baits even on 25-30lb line. It is true about rod length as well. When I really need distance I use the dobyns 908.

For smaller (up to 2oz) baits I have been able to get my older daiwa zillion to do the job. Get that with an hlc spool and bearings with 40-50lb braid and you will see those baits fly as well. Has been pretty good on a donyns 766 but also does nicely on a 807. Hope that helps. Apologies on being a little long winded.

Edited by slideaction