St. Croix joins the swimbait game

Pike

I use there 7'4" heavy for throwing swaivers and Hard gills.  They have a blank for almost everything so i am sure there are custom builds out there with croix blanks.  I have hoped that they would make or i could locate a 1-5 ounce Moderate fast rod 7'6" but most of their blanks for heavier baits are longer.  I am currently eyeing the 7'9" blank

http://www.mudhole.com/custom-rod-building-blanks/st-croix-fishing-rod-blanks/SCIV-Series-Rod-Blanks/SCIV-Musky-Pike-Fishing-Rod-Blanks

Hmmm interesting. That's insanely light for an 8'11'' XH. Only $20 more than a Dobyns 867 too. Not sure how I feel about split grips and fast action on a swimbait rod though...

Thats what i thougt too, even lighter than the 1-4 oz model. Also St. Croix is normally very true with their lure rating.

I've always felt they fished on the heavier side of their ratings. Either way, I'm sure it will be a nice rod

They run more powerful than their rating IME also.  I have not had any issues running rods over their lure rating and them not acting overloaded.  

I use their musky line a lot.

What I mean when I say their lure rating is true is not only if the rod can handle the specific weight but if the rod can handle anything what comes with it.

For example:

I throw 250s and 10.5" hiros on a st. Croix legend tournament MH 8'6" rated 3/4-3oz and handles those 6oz baits just fine. Ive also landed 20+lb striper on it.
A rod built by them for swimbaits should be awesome.

I have this rod as well.

It is build for throwing bucktails and spinnerbaits for muskys. So the lure rating is for that. A 3 oz bucktail or spinnerbait with the big blades most of them have has a lot of resistance. The rod need to be capable of throwing them, handling them in the figure 8, ripp them out of weed, set the big treble or single hook in a very hard mouth and land a fish which can have 50 pound.

Thats why is rated only up to 3 oz and for me thoose 3 oz are very true.

Which does not mean it cant handle a 250. Totally different bait and purpose if you use it for bass fishing.

All the other musky sticks in the legend tournament series I used from them are the same. These are technic specific rods and each of them is very different.