Advice on a GIANT bass I found

IsaacM619

I don't have a clue, so I can't give you good advice...but Matt Allen did a great "how to catch the biggest bass in the lake" seminar that's recorded on YouTube. In the first or second one, he talks about crawling a Huddleston slowly then letting it sit for several minutes...then burning it back to the boat. He said this was only for those fish that had seen everything.  You might at least get some ideas from those seminars, or entertainment if nothing else!  Also, he and Tim have videos about catching their PB (over 15's) and it's pretty interesting. 

On an entirely different note: How do you like to fish and what would you like to remember catching it on? 

Wow! I bet your heart set a new speed record! I like the Mattlures Gill idea. I’d try a floating one, pulled tight to a bullet sinker that’s heavy enough to hold it on the bottom. Then, if you get another follow, when she’s close, free spool the Gill to send it swimming to the surface - the escaping bait might do the trick. Either way, keep us posted.

I like this floating gill idea

An Rof 0 hudd gill with the weights they sell for it to modify the rof and make it anywhere from like an rof 1/2-3 or so would be a look she may not have seen as well. 

I would also go completely off the wall and throw like a 10 inch pike bait, a mackerel, something with an exotic profile that is likely to be a new stimulus just on the hope that because trout baits in non trout lakes work for other folks then why not?

TBH I would swallow my pride, abandon my personal life, and throw live craws and anything else I could find like Billy Murphy used to do for a bass like that if it wasn't responding to my best swimbait presentations.

Isaac if you want to pay the shipping for my personal copy of trackin trophies by John Hope that I received a week ago I'd be happy to loan it to ya. After reading that I'm even more confident you'll get her.

One thing that stuck out from his tracking studies was that if she gets too pressured when on a bed she will leave and then come back at night. I don't think any of the bass he tracked every abandoned their traditional spawning areas, but need to take another look.

Have you tried fishing her at night?

I'm in no position to give advice btw, my little pb Iowa bass is only 5.48

I also have a real prey baby bass which is like my most prized swimbait, it needs a fresh butch brown rigging, but it's a relatively rare swimbait and I'd be happy to loan that out to ya as well just as long as ya know I get it back.

I remember reading pike are highly cannibalistic around the spawn so maybe a baby bass swimbait would be worth a shot?

I hope you get her man, really looking forward to pics!

For a bass of a lifetime, I would throw away my swimbait pride and toss a Big crawfish in that area, with no weight. Also, I might try a Big live bait that is present in that lake, if permitted by your game laws. Hey, I love getting big bass, but a Huge bass is huge because of its intelligence. Good luck.

Really bummed to make it to the end of this topic, all very cool ideas. I really hope this works out.

I'm not exactly sure what I'd try. But I like the modified floating gill but I'd Carolina rig it so it looks like it's nosing down feeding

Let's go man we're all living vicariously though you

Went out yesterday. Pulled up on the spot, and found 3 other boats fishing that bank. I came back later and never saw a fish. I think there was a tournament and the place got beat up pretty good. I’ll be heading out next week. I will update then.

Don’t get mad and I’m sure I’m going to get flamed for this, but get some live bait, and just go catch that fish. It’s a fish of a life time. We all want to catch a giant on a big bait, but don’t miss the opportunity.

Big shiner/water dog on a 1/0 hook and a 6ft,20lb floro leader with a small split shot about three inches from the Uni on the floro side.

Drop it on her and have the net ready. Sorry for the purists, but he’s gotta catch this fish.

SHE IS STILL THERE!!! 3 trips without seeing her, or anything in that area. Today I went out in the middle of the day and she was pulled up on top of another rock a few feet away sunning herself. She got a little interested in my Rago Weedless but for the most part she was just chillin. Glad to know she is still there. I will be making a concerted effort next week to try and get her to go...

So your saying there still a chance. Really hope you get her. Be pretty awesome if it turns out that way. Need to try when slightly raining, not downpour but light rain and little wind. That's this week bud, according to the forecast

Edited by R8R