MA phatpats March 1st iceout edition

twil93

got back from an amazing trip in AZ a few weeks ago with my homies grady codd and manny chee and the bite stays alive for me! last week we had a good 3-4 day stretch of some nice warmer weather which started melting ice here in central mass, so i met up with a buddy and we went on tour looking for open water. i had just received the nacl 50 i purchased from a member here that morning and wanted to try it out so i tied my phatpats on my workshop custom xh. we had 8 ponds on our route, with the first 2 still completely covered in ice. pond 3 was open where the main channel area crosses under the road so we stopped to makes some casts. no luck but felt good to be casting in mass on march 1st. next 3 out of 4 ponds were again still covered with the 4th mostly open but not much shore access so we didnt end up stopping. we get to the last pond and start walking out. when the pond starts coming in view im disappointed at the site of ice. round the corner a little more to find the center 35-40% open water and ice completely covering both ends of the rectangle pond. we look and decide to make a few casts each since we are already out there. on my 3rd and what would have probably been my last cast in the ice gap, i feel a tick while slow cranking the pats just under the surface of this shallow weedy pond. after 3 seconds of tight line and sheer disbelief, my rod starts bobbing back and im sayin "im on im on". my buddy sees her belly on a roll and instantly starts saying "you gotta get that thing to shore!" i get her in and we cant believe it. beautiful healthy dark largie. quick pics and scale and we let her go. wish i had my board with me but i honestly wasnt planning on this happening. guess you never know which cast could be the one! fish went 5lbs 2oz. pumped to get bit nevermind on a good one this early in the year! got out with steve march 3rd and got his first of the year too! not a giant but he was pumped to swing! hoping we can keep it rolling!

LDC Workshop Custom XH

Abu NaCl 50

20lb Izor XXX

Phatpats

Thanks for reading and tight lines,

Tyson

post-24038-0-35243700-1520438671_thumb.jpeg

post-24038-0-58149900-1520439403_thumb.jpeg