Swimbait Fishing North East

SMS203

Hello Everyone

I am a new member, thanks for having me.

I have been fishing my whole life and just got into the swimbait game the past couple of years.

I have just recently started buying well known quality swimbaits. I fish Connecticut waters and we have a well known Pike fishery. I have never caught one but assume the chances are better now throwing 8†baits.

How are you guys fishing the expensive swimbaits with the chance of getting a pike while fishing for bass to avoid breakoffs? As of now my line of choice is big game 20# straight to lure.

Thanks for you input and thanks for having me.

Hey man I'm in CT too and mainly target pike. In my opinion, if you aren't using a leader you're asking for disaster. I run 65lb braid to 200lb mono leader. You can get away with way lighter line but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Pike aren't line shy anyways

SBU Welcome.

C+R a lot of CT NP over the years my set up is 65lb braid with 18-24†of crimped 50-60lb Gama fluorocarbon leaders.... using mono that stretches like a rubber band will not allow you a good hook up to land ratio, you need very little stretch to land big pike.

3:16 Hyper Herring and Musky GB get crushed in CT NP waters and Slammers cranked fast are also a good CT NP bait to try.

post-17904-0-36230700-1520872326_thumb.jpg

post-17904-0-32423000-1520872340_thumb.jpg

post-17904-0-75991800-1520872352_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys

Trying to avoid the pike lol but would gladly take one if it meant not loosing a expensive swimbaits. I guess I will have to learn to crimp and use heavy florocarbon. Are the bass really finicky with a short titanium wire leader in Connecticut’s not exactly clear water? Anyone ever try tyger wire or any of the tieable wire?

Welcome to the game mate! There is a bunch of threads about tieable wire in here. They all pretty much come down to preferance. Couple guys claim it hinders the action of baits. Some can't see the difference. Here are a two of threads talking about leaders. There are tons more and some much better than these. Tight lines Bud

http://swimbaitunderground.com/forums/index.php?/topic/46527-teeth-and-swimbaits/?hl=wire&do=findComment&comment=357231

http://swimbaitunderground.com/forums/index.php?/topic/46032-pickerel-problems-part2/?hl=wire&do=findComment&comment=355095

This one is pretty detailed:

http://swimbaitunderground.com/forums/index.php?/topic/46101-calling-all-pike-guys/?hl=wire

Edited by Onthefly_25

Not really the north east, but I fish for several weeks a year in Michigan. Just got into throwing swimbaits last year but have been slow rolling live bluegill for years . It may be because the lake I fish is so underfished and there is basically no pressure, but bass have never been shy of a leader. I fish 25 pound line with 65 pound wire leader. One a 1 to 10 scale, the chances of a pike drive-by are about a 16. Last year when I started throwing bigger swimbaits though, the slower I worked them, the bigger the bass got, and the less pike mauled them. I will say though that a good size pike will turn even the toughest swimbaits into a big ugly pile of junk. And forget soft baits like hudds. Cast a full one.....get back half.

I lost a WRS to a pike over the summer and since I will be targeting them partially this year I finally settled on titanium wire leaders between 8 and 14". We'll see how they work but I am very impressed with the titanium just from tying and handling it. 

I lost a WRS to a pike over the summer and since I will be targeting them partially this year I finally settled on titanium wire leaders between 8 and 14". We'll see how they work but I am very impressed with the titanium just from tying and handling it.

As someone that has caught hundreds of pike on rising sons do yourself a favor and get the top hook model. I find the weedless hookup ratio on pike sucks but the top hook get them literally 99% of the time.

• 2 weeks later...

As someone that has caught hundreds of pike on rising sons do yourself a favor and get the top hook model. I find the weedless hookup ratio on pike sucks but the top hook get them literally 99% of the time.

Oh I wasn't targeting them with the WRS, it was just an unfortunate run-in.