My 1st resin bait - 6.75" Roman Made Clone

PRZ93

From a block of wood to finished product, I have a working, handmade glide bait cast out of resin. The design isn't original or a perfect recreation, but I'm very proud of how it turned out and creating it has been a great learning experience. With the tail included, the total length is about 6.75 inches.

TNPgwHu.jpg

My goal with this project was to see if I could make a large, gliding 2-piece lure out of resin. I chose a popular and simple design to emulate to increase my odds of a working finished product, and opted for a slightly downsized RM Negotiator. 

I carved the master out of basswood, and made a silicone mold using Legos and Smooth-On OOMOO 30 (plus modeling clay & Vaseline). 

vPllk3c.jpg

I made multiple casts using Smooth-Cast 300 with varying levels of microspheres to get the buoyancy right. Still need to work out a proper way to consistently ballast the lure while maintaining buoyancy for future casts. Only the body section was able to be further weighted to maintain a slow sink and optimal balancing for the glide action - next cast will have more microspheres so I can better tune the ROF.

7aRjch6.jpg

I initially carved a tail out of acrylic, but ended up using it as a template for cutting and shaping a Plano box divider. I like the flexibility/shatter-resistance and being able to maintain some of the transparency. 

kGSWtJZ.jpg

I'm still working on my airbrushing skills, and intend to do some more detailed work in the future. This whole project took many hours and I was ready for it to be done and fishable! 

The hardware used to transform two blocks of plastic into a fishing lure was SS cotter pins - these made life much easier than twisting SS wire like I've done in the past. It is equipped with size #4 Owner Hyperwire split rings and size #2 VMC inline trebles. The hardware and paint are cemented in place with BSI-205 clear waterproof epoxy. Total weight comes in around 2.4 ounces.

The function is definitely good enough to be fished which is what matters most! Not RM glide/swim quality, but I am very impressed with it and can improve upon #1 with future baits. I can certainly see why a fine-tuned, handcarved RM costs what it does. 

KnsrzWI.jpg

Now to go stick some giants with it! Excited to see what original designs I can come up with in the future.

That looks really good Preston! I use most of the same materials and processes

Thanks Dan! Following along with other builds made the process a bit easier, but I'm sure I'll tweak things as I go in the future. With your Keeper, have you found a method to get your resin casts to have a consistent buoyancy?

Thanks Dan! Following along with other builds made the process a bit easier, but I'm sure I'll tweak things as I go in the future. With your Keeper, have you found a method to get your resin casts to have a consistent buoyancy?

Just be consistent with microballoon ratios is all I can say...even a small variation may change a bait drastically. Also never eyeball when measuring. I learned that the hard way lol

Just be consistent with microballoon ratios is all I can say...even a small variation may change a bait drastically. Also never eyeball when measuring. I learned that the hard way lol

I think that is the way to go. Finished 7 casts, with 5 of them at the prime level of buoyancy. Took detailed notes this time, no more eyeballing lol!

I saw that you posted this on reddit as well, I was wondering if it was someone active on SU haha. Very nice work, hope you smash a bunch of bigguns on it.

I sure did haha! Part of the joy of this is in sharing my work with others and hopefully inspiring more people to give lure making a shot. Can't wait to fish it!

Part of the joy of this is in sharing my work with others and hopefully inspiring more people to give lure making a shot.

I applaud this. Too many guys go into it just for the money and attention without fully appreciating the process or all those great baitmakers who came before them...but it looks like you're headed in the right direction from the beginning!

I saw that you posted this on reddit as well, I was wondering if it was someone active on SU haha. Very nice work, hope you smash a bunch of bigguns on it.

Hold up.....There's an ACTIVE sub-reddit for swimbaiting?!?!? what's the name?

• 2 weeks later...

Great job, I made a Negotiator copy out of pine, works pretty well. I like the tail idea you have...RM tails cost a LOT, so I made mine from wood covered with Gorilla tape (!)...silly but it works! 

I wonder what kind of plastic RM uses for tails, I haven't been able to find anything like it. 

Been throwing this guy around a bit, learning the right retrieves and such. Only been swimming to get her unstuck once (lol). Never caught a fish on a glide before so it has been quite the learning curve using a homemade with its odd tendencies here and there. But have I got a story for you...

Hooked and lost right at shore easily the biggest bass of my life this afternoon. I will now always carry a net, and use my damn GoPro as often as possible, but anyhow.

Smaller urban pond (no boats) that is stocked with trout/catfish, but holds some solid bass you can see swimming around. Very clear water, rocky shores, typically little vegetation. Anyhow, I've fished this lake a bit but never caught more than a dink or two... The big ones are too wary.

Today, I get there and see the water is clear but a huge portion of the lake is covered in spotty pads of moss. See a few smaller bass, so I figure I'll test the RM clone a bit as I can watch the action and look for followers. Had to deal with pulling moss off often, but start pitching into the clear spots and working it next to and under these moss pads. After a few smaller followers, I spot a big bass (easily 21"+, 5lb+) and partner (2-3lb) swimming around. The smaller one chases the glide, kinda knocking it around but not trying to eat it. See the larger one about 15 yards out... First pitch she swipes at it but no commitment, I can tell she is agitated. Heart rate going up... Second pitch is perfect, minimal splash, kinda scoots right under a pad she is near... Quick handle turn... quick handle turn... WHAM!!!!! SHE SMOKES IT! I reel her in as fast as possible, then suddenly she is at shore and I'm looking at the biggest fish I've ever hooked into. Crap, no way am I gonna be able to bank flip her (rocky 2ft drop to water)... Gotta bend down and lip her......... The slightest slack in the line and a quick head shake and she's off. One moment of hesitation was all it took. Sits there for a few seconds getting her bearings then swims off. 

While it would have been better to post my first update with a picture or video of a new PB/first glide bait fish, I now have some confidence in this bait. Good lesson in "if you're going to throw big baits to target big bass, be ready and able to land them" lol. Will definitely carry a net in the future (I'm not used to "giant" fish like this haha). Probably the most exciting moment of my freshwater fishing... I'll definitely be back there tomorrow!

Edited by PRZ93

Appreciate the update, Preston! It's good to hear the whole story and what you learned rather than just the successes...I had a similar experience with my own homemade glide. I was just prototyping and wasn't expecting to get bit, but a big one followed all the way up to shore on a windy day and smoked it a few feet away from me. I saw the whole thing with my eyes and swung hard like my life depended on it. She was way too close and I set too early. After three seconds she was gone. I was bummed but learned some good lessons.

Keep at it! You'll get her eventually!