Glide Technique

Shimano77

Just took a trip to the lake to experiment with a glide that i'm tinkering on. As Brian mentioned, moving the bait with periodic turns of the reel handle got the bait to have a wide, smooth gliding action. I got quite a few decent fish to follow the glide with this tactic. The bass in each body of water may react differently, but I noticed that when I gave my glide a sharp pop with the rod, the bass would lose interest. Again, this lake's bass might be a little different, but that was just an observation from today's outing. I still need to figure out how to make em commit, but I can see why people are addicted to glides

Just took a trip to the lake to experiment with a glide that i'm tinkering on. As Brian mentioned, moving the bait with periodic turns of the reel handle got the bait to have a wide, smooth gliding action. I got quite a few decent fish to follow the glide with this tactic. The bass in each body of water may react differently, but I noticed that when I gave my glide a sharp pop with the rod, the bass would lose interest. Again, this lake's bass might be a little different, but that was just an observation from today's outing. I still need to figure out how to make em commit, but I can see why people are addicted to glides

Dave very true but on some days that sharp pop gets them to bait. Not sure we will ever figure it out, maybe water temp, time of day, cold front, moon phase...that is why it is best to try different things and the fish will tell us, then we have to learn from each time on the water.

Here's my take on glides, take it for what it's worth because I am definitely no Butch Brown.

I try to mentally make a note to change my retrieve as much as possible until I figure out how the majority of the fish want the retrieve. No matter what bait you are throwing, learn it and learn it's limitations. If water is cold, I'm obviously gonna start out with a slow constant reel and then add slow long rod pumps to get the longest glide possible without making the bait appear too aggressive while also throwing in exaggerated pauses. With warmer water I'll reel faster and add in more aggressive left and right movements along with quicker pauses. I just keep changing it up until the fish show me what they want.

I learned really fast that a glide bait is going to show you a ton of fish, but the biggest difference between a guy new to fishing a glide bait and someone that has experience is the ability to make the fish commit and bite. The theory I've developed after throwing these addictive baits for a few years is the T-Rex theory. Think of the t-rex from the first Jurassic Park movie. He doesn't really want the goat tied down(although he does eventually eat it lol) but what he really wants to do is chase. A dying prey isn't going to move slower when it sees a bass trying to eat it, just as anything else in nature. The instinct to survive is going to kick in and the prey is going to do it's best and use what energy it has to try and escape. So what i do to try and mimic this is to speed the bait up and/or make the bait more aggressive as soon as I see a fish near the bait. Within the first aggressive glides after seeing the fish, you're gonna know whether or not that fish is going to eat or not. Read the fish's body language. If it doesn't seem that interested after you speed it up, slow back down and see if you can get him interested again. However, if he does seem interested and he looks excited, the hard part is over, now you just have to make him bite. At this point the fish is going to start gliding with the bait or following while trying to position itself to eat the bait. You'll notice smaller fish usually try to position themselves to hit the head so that they can reposition the bait to go down head first while a larger fish usually don't care because they can swallow the bait however they please. What seems to work best for me is to speed the bait up until the fish gets close enough to strike and then I do a left right pause or a left right left right pause. And by pause i mean just split second to stop the bait right in front of their face and make them react. If no bite, repeat process. Don't hesitate to do this right at the boat. If you run out of room, just start figure 8ing the bait. If you practice the figure 8 at the boat, you'll notice with a deps that if you give it enough slack it will almost 180 by itself. Just give it slack until it hits that 180 area and then another twitch and it will go back the other way. I do the figure 8s by just twitching the rod, just make sure you have enough slack line out. If you have a fish that follows to the boat kinda low and not so close to the bait, I've became a firm believer that the fish may still bite. Be persistent and don't take the bait out of the water, you may still get him to react and bite.

If I don't see the fish bite, I usually just set the hook like any normal reaction hook set. However, if I do see the fish bite, I just try to lean into the fish more than anything. I've missed too many fish trying to set the hook when I see them bite. With the pause in their face tactic like I mentioned above, you're gonna get a lot of fish on the back hook so always keep the net as close to you as possible or you're gonna dump a lot of fish(also learned this the hard way!!).

No matter what glide you're using(and note most of this was wrote with a deps 250 in mind), nothing is going to beat time on the water and learning the bait. Learn the bait's limitations and practice manipulating the bait to how you want it to look in the water. If you're lucky enough to have clear water then hopefully what I've typed up will help you out.....If not, disregard because I have no clue how to make a fish bite in water that has little to no visibility. I went almost 7 months of fishing a deps 250 before I finally caught one. 7 months and probably hundreds of followers! I still don't catch all the ones I see and even miss some of the aggressive ones. You'll have fish tbone a bait and still somehow not get hooks or I've even seen them when they are really aggressive and just look like they forgot how to eat when its time to bite. Just keep casting and if you're lucky enough to fish a big glide bait on a body of water that has never seen them, you'll be in for a treat for sure.

Btw, setups I'm using are og deps 250s wrapped and tuned by deefeesha or tuned by butch-spiralite mav 86 or dobyns 867 - Calcutta 401TE or Abu Garcia big shooter 60 - 30cxx.

Here's my take on glides, take it for what it's worth because I am definitely no Butch Brown.

I try to mentally make a note to change my retrieve as much as possible until I figure out how the majority of the fish want the retrieve. No matter what bait you are throwing, learn it and learn it's limitations. If water is cold, I'm obviously gonna start out with a slow constant reel and then add slow long rod pumps to get the longest glide possible without making the bait appear too aggressive while also throwing in exaggerated pauses. With warmer water I'll reel faster and add in more aggressive left and right movements along with quicker pauses. I just keep changing it up until the fish show me what they want.

I learned really fast that a glide bait is going to show you a ton of fish, but the biggest difference between a guy new to fishing a glide bait and someone that has experience is the ability to make the fish commit and bite. The theory I've developed after throwing these addictive baits for a few years is the T-Rex theory. Think of the t-rex from the first Jurassic Park movie. He doesn't really want the goat tied down(although he does eventually eat it lol) but what he really wants to do is chase. A dying prey isn't going to move slower when it sees a bass trying to eat it, just as anything else in nature. The instinct to survive is going to kick in and the prey is going to do it's best and use what energy it has to try and escape. So what i do to try and mimic this is to speed the bait up and/or make the bait more aggressive as soon as I see a fish near the bait. Within the first aggressive glides after seeing the fish, you're gonna know whether or not that fish is going to eat or not. Read the fish's body language. If it doesn't seem that interested after you speed it up, slow back down and see if you can get him interested again. However, if he does seem interested and he looks excited, the hard part is over, now you just have to make him bite. At this point the fish is going to start gliding with the bait or following while trying to position itself to eat the bait. You'll notice smaller fish usually try to position themselves to hit the head so that they can reposition the bait to go down head first while a larger fish usually don't care because they can swallow the bait however they please. What seems to work best for me is to speed the bait up until the fish gets close enough to strike and then I do a left right pause or a left right left right pause. And by pause i mean just split second to stop the bait right in front of their face and make them react. If no bite, repeat process. Don't hesitate to do this right at the boat. If you run out of room, just start figure 8ing the bait. If you practice the figure 8 at the boat, you'll notice with a deps that if you give it enough slack it will almost 180 by itself. Just give it slack until it hits that 180 area and then another twitch and it will go back the other way. I do the figure 8s by just twitching the rod, just make sure you have enough slack line out. If you have a fish that follows to the boat kinda low and not so close to the bait, I've became a firm believer that the fish may still bite. Be persistent and don't take the bait out of the water, you may still get him to react and bite.

If I don't see the fish bite, I usually just set the hook like any normal reaction hook set. However, if I do see the fish bite, I just try to lean into the fish more than anything. I've missed too many fish trying to set the hook when I see them bite. With the pause in their face tactic like I mentioned above, you're gonna get a lot of fish on the back hook so always keep the net as close to you as possible or you're gonna dump a lot of fish(also learned this the hard way!!).

No matter what glide you're using(and note most of this was wrote with a deps 250 in mind), nothing is going to beat time on the water and learning the bait. Learn the bait's limitations and practice manipulating the bait to how you want it to look in the water. If you're lucky enough to have clear water then hopefully what I've typed up will help you out.....If not, disregard because I have no clue how to make a fish bite in water that has little to no visibility. I went almost 7 months of fishing a deps 250 before I finally caught one. 7 months and probably hundreds of followers! I still don't catch all the ones I see and even miss some of the aggressive ones. You'll have fish tbone a bait and still somehow not get hooks or I've even seen them when they are really aggressive and just look like they forgot how to eat when its time to bite. Just keep casting and if you're lucky enough to fish a big glide bait on a body of water that has never seen them, you'll be in for a treat for sure.

Btw, setups I'm using are og deps 250s wrapped and tuned by deefeesha or tuned by butch-spiralite mav 86 or dobyns 867 - Calcutta 401TE or Abu Garcia big shooter 60 - 30cxx.

Awesome write up...now delete that ish hahahaha

This is why I hang out on SU.  There's lots of crap on the internet from guys who like to pretend they know about swimbaiting and then there's stuff like the above from someone who actually has taken the time to refine the technique and share his info.  Thanks Travis.

GOLD! I love getting  to fish with travis because i take what i learn from him back home and apply it to my fish. Dude is hammer