Calcutta Conquest 400 for Deps and Hinkle Shad or should I go with the smaller Calcutta Conquest 300 or even maybe a higher gear ratio tranx? P.S. I tend to stick with shimano.

I see what you guys are saying, still deciding between conquest 400, or grappler/tranx 300 in HG

I know others will disagree but IMHO I really dont like my conquest 400 for my deps 250. I feel like I'm trying to constantly catch up with the bait. I know the conquest looks awesome and all but unless you get the new high speed conquest i would say go tranx or abu toro beast/big shooter

Edited by Low&Slow

• 1 year later...

Getting a set up for 250s/Baitsmiths/Hinkles. I know 300s are the ideal size but I have baby hands (6.5 inches from bottom of my palm to top of my middle finger). Can I get away with using a 200 size? Don't wanna kill my hand and wrist every cast.

On 11/15/2019 at 1:53 PM, PKNNH said:

Getting a set up for 250s/Baitsmiths/Hinkles. I know 300s are the ideal size but I have baby hands (6.5 inches from bottom of my palm to top of my middle finger). Can I get away with using a 200 size? Don't wanna kill my hand and wrist every cast.

I’m a big Shimano fan but recently picked up a Daiwa Ryoga 1520H. Similar size to CC300, but sits much lower on the reel seat making more ‘palmable’. Bought to throw sub 3oz soft plastic jig hook baits but have no doubt it could handle the baits you mention with ease. Also, clicker drag out-of-the-box.

06CF43E1-328A-462F-825F-81C93B2CE1D7.jpeg

A 300 compared to a 400 reel will affect how the bait will swim especially a glide bait, if a bait is castted far out the 300 size reel will definitely affect the action since the amount of line being picked up is not even on the end of the cast compared to when the bait is a few feet away from you. That's why a calcutta is better than a tranx when it comes to bombing a cast, you have a more balanced retrieve at all times with the calcutta than the tranx. Now if you are pitching and not doing super long casts then the tranx 300 is just fine. My lexa 300 is what i use 90% of the time because i rarely bomb a cast, if i do i'm just conscientious on how the bait is swimming.