I lost my first big bait today

tysonck

I finally got some time off, and my dad wanted to go catch some big bluegills. So I decided I drive the boat, go find some beds and let him wear them out on the flyrod. I tied on my bullshooter, and proceeded to play back up every time we pulled up to a brim bed.

I’ve made probably 40 Casts,  and my dad was burning them up. I saw a likely brush pile, made a cast, three cranks of the reel handle, and the water exploded.  I had her on for about 20 seconds, and my dad said it was the biggest bass he’s ever seen. I’m guessing 11 or 12, Not quite as big as the fish I pulled off in March. And then, she just broke off. She jumped twice afterwards and threw the bait in about 12 feet of water. I have no idea what happened, and we looked for the bait for about an hour. No luck.

I guess it’s a right of passage. But what a bummer. It reminded me of the first deer I missed with a bow.

F474C972-CFA5-46E8-8D34-8A6C6D491905.jpeg

Don't let this stop your mojo. You are dialed in.  Check your line often tho.  I use a flexible rod with my bg baits because there is alot of bait that can come loose on a fish. There are also alot of edges on BG baits that can nick line too. Too powerful a rod can exaggerate the scrapes. 

On 5/27/2018 at 6:13 PM, tysonck said:

I finally got some time off, and my dad wanted to go catch some big bluegills. So I decided I drive the boat, go find some beds and let him wear them out on the flyrod. I tied on my bullshooter, and proceeded to play back up every time we pulled up to a brim bed.

I’ve made probably 40 Casts,  and my dad was burning them up. I saw a likely brush pile, made a cast, three cranks of the reel handle, and the water exploded.  I had her on for about 20 seconds, and my dad said it was the biggest bass he’s ever seen. I’m guessing 11 or 12, Not quite as big as the fish I pulled off in March. And then, she just broke off. She jumped twice afterwards and threw the bait in about 12 feet of water. I have no idea what happened, and we looked for the bait for about an hour. No luck.

I guess it’s a right of passage. But what a bummer. It reminded me of the first deer I missed with a bow.

Tyson how old are you maybe I got something for you

Edited by BASS_SWINGER

20 hours ago, BASS_SWINGER said:

Tyson how old are you maybe I got something for you

I’m 33. Lol I haven’t even looked at this thread because it still hurts. I haven’t even started searching for a new one

On 5/27/2018 at 6:13 PM, tysonck said:

Tyson how old are you maybe I’m got something for you