Glide Bait

slowjoe

I Just got done with my first Swimbait start to finish and first airbrush job. My home lake  gets a ton of pleasure boaters and most of the fish sit deep 25+ and I wanted a big search bait I can fish deep and keep it in the strike zone. The bait is about 11.5” and fast sink about 13.5oz. I took it out today and it has a wide glide but I managed to break the tail off already.

Things I’ve learned

1. Definitely need practice on the airbrush, fading is a challenge!

2. I brushed on the KBS and hung the tail section on an angle not vertical so I got a heavy layer and bubbles...need to hang them vertical

3. The tail was a divider for a plano box it is too brittle gonna try lexan

4. need to make the next bait thinner,  it is about 1.5” and with the buoyancy of basswood I needed a lot of ballast which greatly increased weight. 

I used magnets on the top to hold the hooks in place two 3/16”x1/8” for each hook definitely need a little more strength to firmly hold them in place.

0E593CC6-F5E4-4A12-99C4-F769DEC1067F.jpeg

D85D4526-5E54-403A-88F0-9938AF06F267.jpeg

ADE9F84F-E0DE-4E2D-B868-00AA1972A000.jpeg

An S Swimmer is not the easiest bait to start with.  If it’s swimming ok, that’s an accomplishment.  Looks like a great start.

I used a tackle box divider on one of my first baits..ha ha , broke before quick. 

I weighted each section separately and got each section to fall horizontal...I think the shear weight of the lure helps the glide I initially thought the extra weight would kill the glide but it didnt