10 inch Handmade Glide Bait

VolunteerSwimbaits

So this is my first post on SU, but ive made about 4-5 wooden lures now. I feel like this one has deserved it's spot on the forums. I went for a Mother inspired body, and a carp inspired paint job. I am very new to airbrushing, so excuse the paint. I used a new weight system I am calling an internal weight system. I drilled holes on the bottom inside of the bait and filled it up with lead, instead of traditionally drilling from the bottom up and having ugly drill marks. Let me know what you guys think of it, and let me know if i can do anything to help improve the bait, or future baits!

4 minutes ago, VolunteerSwimbaits said:

So this is my first post on SU, but ive made about 4-5 wooden lures now. I feel like this one has deserved it's spot on the forums. I went for a Mother inspired body, and a carp inspired paint job. I am very new to airbrushing, so excuse the paint. I used a new weight system I am calling an internal weight system. I drilled holes on the bottom inside of the bait and filled it up with lead, instead of traditionally drilling from the bottom up and having ugly drill marks. Let me know what you guys think of it, and let me know if i can do anything to help improve the bait, or future baits!

20180728_090526.jpg

Looks awesome. My only scepticism/question is how do you control the amount of of weight? Bait makers drill multiple holes so they can pin point the correct amount of counter weight. How do you control that?

But seriously, the bait looks great. Hell of a job!

Just now, JoshPerkins802 said:

Looks awesome. My only scepticism/question is how do you control the amount of of weight? Bait makers drill multiple holes so they can pin point the correct amount of counter weight. How do you control that?

But seriously, the bait looks great. Hell of a job!

To be honest, i just kinda eyeball it. I knew a bait this size would need a few ounces of lead. I put about 4.5 ounces in it, and it floats with about half an inch sticking out of the water. Thanks a lot for the comment, let me know if you have any other questions!

10 minutes ago, mike h said:

That’s a great idea. Once you figure out how much weight it actually needs, you can fill those holes accordingly, with sinkers, etc. plus you can screw your eye screws into the lead in there.

nice job.. are you planning to  let it float?

Yes, i have completely finished this bait, and it floats, which is how i wanted to to work. It is very stable, and has a very nice wide action. I mainly made it to get followers, and to figure out where the big fish are. The boys over at Tactical Bassin have a video on it. Honestly dont plan on catching any fish on it, because my local lakes dont have hardly any fish over 4-5 pounds. The linked video can explain mainly what i am using this for. I recommend watching it.