Feathered Trebles

JoshPerkins802

Just finished up my 6th. Don't worry I'm done posting. Let me know what ya'll think. Going to see how they swim tomorrow. Then making adjustments. Thank everybody for your criticism and pointers. Im EXTREMELY happy how they turned out. Going to be the next hobby.

Red/Red  Pink/Black  Black/Red

IMG_20180803_145328_065.jpg

If you don't like the way they swim with the maribou, try saddle hackle feathers. I usually use only three feathers and trim them down. They usually look like the feathered trebles on what you see on some topwater plugs. The thread and feathers were both bought from Cabela's but I'm sure you can find them on Amazon. I use Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Hardener to coat the wrap. I usually do 2-3 coats.

image1.thumb.jpeg.dc7a7477151256a896411b439f568c6e.jpeg

Edited by cchoww

3 hours ago, cchoww said:

If you don't like the way they swim with the maribou, try saddle hackle feathers. I usually use only three feathers and trim them down. They usually look like the feathered trebles on what you see on some topwater plugs. The thread and feathers were both bought from Cabela's but I'm sure you can find them on Amazon. I use Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Hardener to coat the wrap. I usually do 2-3 coats.

image1.thumb.jpeg.dc7a7477151256a896411b439f568c6e.jpeg

I looked into hackle, neck and saddle. I just prefer the bulk of the marabou. I think it will have a great movement in the water. Nice pic though! Your feathers look great!

Nothing moves as nicely in the water as marabou, but its not very durable.  If you don't mind re-tying occasionally its good.  Saddle hackles and craft hair hold up much better over time but don't have as much movement.  Because marabou moves so freely it does not seem to affect the action of the bait as much as stiff materials like bucktail.

1 hour ago, waynem said:

Nothing moves as nicely in the water as marabou, but its not very durable.  If you don't mind re-tying occasionally its good.  Saddle hackles and craft hair hold up much better over time but don't have as much movement.  Because marabou moves so freely it does not seem to affect the action of the bait as much as stiff materials like bucktail.

Well the Marabou was amazing in the water. I do feel like i should have left some more bulk. When they get wet they slim down a BUNCH. But the action was great. I can see where you're coming from with it not being durable. But i think I'll live with it if I have to re-tie every so often. I think the way the Marabou is in the water makes it worth the sacrifice. And it only takes 10 or 15 minutes to feather them (if I'm in the zone haha).

Thank you for the pointer!

2 minutes ago, VolunteerSwimbaits said:

Im more curious about the trapper hooks, how do you like them? I tried out the ewg worm hooks, but found that i couldn't get a solid hook set. Do you prefer the trapper hooks over traditional? Those feathered trebles look amazing by the way!

Actually this was my first time using them. I've read a lot about them and the technology behind it, and finally decided to pick some up. The only thing I've noticed so far about them is that the size 1s are closer to 1/0 and their 1/0 is more like a 1.5/0. I will let you know how they do when I hook up.

And thank you! I thought they came out pretty good.

Nice looking feathered trebles. I have just started making my own also. I have been experimenting with marabou and saddle hackle feathers together. They look pretty good but they are kind of bulky and I am worried they will affect the action of my baits. 

I would urge you to use some newer fly tying materials, they may be able to provide a good mix of movement and durability. Craft fur, polarfiber, EP fibers, and artic fox, and even rabbit fur may be cool to experiment with. 

Edited by ferrulewax

8 minutes ago, ferrulewax said:

I would urge you to use some newer fly tying materials, they may be able to provide a good mix of movement and durability. Craft fur, polarfiber, EP fibers, and artic fox, and even rabbit fur may be cool to experiment with. 

Check out the Fly Tyers Dungeon website for some really good synthetics.  Multiple thicknesses, incredible mix of colors, and a solid guy to deal with.  Straight synthetics work well and mixing in a bit of Congo Hair increases the durability of saddle hackle and marabou.  Also a cheap fly-tying size and thread bobbin will make things easier and better.

Hey Josh, some of the synthetic material out there can be really good, but the key to tying on trebles is to keep the size of the head (exposed thread) as slim and tight as possible. When you tie with marabou try wetting the feather, first. Then, don’t tie the end of the feather into the treble. Only tie the long skinny fibers going down each side. It will allow you to make far fewer wraps and still create the same look. Then when you adjust the length it won’t stiffen the material. 

I use a combination of materials on my trebles. There are several ultra light weight flash materials out there. When they are blended with some of the materials mentioned, above, they create an awesome look.  Try Enrico Plugissi (spelling???) sea fibers. They look awesome and add some volume without adding a bunch of drag to the Swimbait’s glide.  

I’ll post a few pics of some in a bit.