Need help getting out of a slump

dylan628

I’ve been grinding hard the last month with nothing literally 3 bites and no fish to show for it. I’ve tried everything from weedless baits in grass, mission fish flipping light mats, glides deep, shallow, slow rolling a Hudd burning a Hudd, fishing swimmers every water column deep shallow top nothing has seemed to work. The only bites I’ve had are on a wade Hogg cranking on rock I’ve tried to replicate that same cast time and time again and nothing. Need some help catching fish. The conditions have been brutal also. Either 2-7” of rain daily or 90+ degree days

Give it time and adapt.  You don't get to set the conditions for decisive action with fish.  They (and mother nature) do.  Keep going until you want to throw something else just to catch a bass.  Then say eff that and keep grinding. 

I fish at night at least 3 days a week. Most fish smack the bait out of the water. Haven’t hooked up with a fish at night in a long time. It just seems that everything is playing against my favor. But thanks for the suggestion guys. I’m just gunna keep grinding and hope

I’m in the same boat man. This year from what I’ve heard has been tough for everyone, especially here in the northeast. Just gotta keep plugging away. Plus, when you haven’t caught anything in a rly long time just means you’re due for a stud soon!

11 hours ago, dylan628 said:

I fish at night at least 3 days a week. Most fish smack the bait out of the water. Haven’t hooked up with a fish at night in a long time. It just seems that everything is playing against my favor. But thanks for the suggestion guys. I’m just gunna keep grinding and hope

How do you react when the fish hit? Are you waiting to feel weight or are you setting the hook right away? If they blast it but don’t hook up, try sending the bait into a “twitch-fit” where you give it lots of little twitches so that it looks like a partially stunned prey item. My daughter modified this by twitching it for about 5 seconds and then burning the bait away, as if it’s recovered and is now trying to escape the danger zone.

I think that the fact you’re getting hits is a good sign - you’re around fish and getting them to react. It might take little tweaks to get them to stick (e.g., up or downsize your hooks).

Keep grinding - you will get your fish.

I might get a bit of flack from this as it's not a swimbait but "swimbaiting" to me has always just been a mentality of upsizing your baits to get bigger bites. Try a big 12+" worm fished very slowly. 

If not I agree with others that a slammer or other wakebait at night is probably a good bet.