Thoughts on trolling swimbaits?

FishDr

I mentioned trolling lures in the Got 'em section and had a question about it. I figured I could start a discussion over here to address it, and because I am curious about how many of you sometimes troll swimbaits, and the when/why/how/what of it. I figured I could get the discussion rolling with my when/why/how/what.

When/Why? Normally, I troll swimbaits as a distraction when I'm rowing my 8' pontoon from one spot to another. My top speed with the oars is about 4 mph, with a cruising speed of around 2.5 mph, and my top speed with fins is around 2.5 mph, and I cruise at 1 - 1.5 mph. Since I can't go faster than trolling speed anyway, I figure I might as well having something trail in the water behind me to perhaps intercept a fish holding on cover I didn't know about, or roaming open water. Most of the time (I'd say 75% - 90%) of the time, nothing happens, but sometimes I get a pleasant surprise.

I also troll swimbaits when I'm searching for northerns and sometimes for big walleyes during the day. The lakes I fish for northerns/'eyes tend to have lots of potential cover and hitting it all with casts can take a long time, whereas I can make a bait run parallel to a weedline or rocky ledge while trolling fairly quickly. It also gives me break from casting and covers a lot of water.

How? Most of my trolling, given its incidental nature, is just done on a flat line and a long cast back from the 'toon. I try to get at least 90' of line out and sometimes will run a lure as far back as 150', just so that fish alerted by the flailing of my fins or splashing of the oars have a chance to reset for something more interesting. Occasionally I'll pull a much shorter line (20 - 30') if I'm working stained water or heavy cover and need to be able to make tight turns and the like.

When I set out on a trip where I plan to troll from the outset, I'l often bring planer boards and sometimes I'll bring a mini-downrigger. The planer boards are something one of the top northern pike/walleye guides in CO put me onto and they work surprisingly well. Apparently a lot of the bigger 'eyes and some of the bigger trout-eating pike suspend away from cover and fairly close to the surface. Pass directly over them with a boat and they scatter. Pass over them with a planer board (only about 12" long) and they stay in position and remain willing to kill. We all want fish that are willing to kill. I have sometimes run planer boards off both sides of the 'toon, but normally run a single large board off one side (often the shoreward side) while running a straight flat line of the other - then I troll over the edge of the weed line or a select depth contour and let the planer run 30 - 50' to the side (lure is about 30' behind it). Planer boards have been effective for northerns and smaller walleye, and I keep wondering what would happen if I ran one along a dark, rocky shoreline in lakes known for bass at night, with a large, loud wakebait waffling along behind it.

If I bring the downrigger (not very often, not yet successful), the I'm either pulling Slammers or Hudds for fish in mid-water or near the bottom in anywhere from 15 - 50'. Standard downrigger trolling, but I think the 4-lb ball I currently use is a little light for the amount of drag a swimbait has. One day I'm going to get a fish to hit a lure on the downrigger (lots of trout eat more trout-type baits) and it's going to be fun.

What? What lures do I use? My mainstay for trolling on the surface or just under the surface is the Slammer. Mike made them work equally well as a trolled lure as a wake bait and because they float, if I have to pause for a moment, they float up out of harms way. Sinking lures will sometimes get frustrating to use because they find things to get snagged on if you pause. I have also pulled various BBZs (no fish yet), Shellcrackers (no fish), and Hudds (ROF 5, ROF 12). I think the Hudds, especially the 12 and 16 have some potential for deep trolling around bass and walleye holding areas because they seem to hold a steady depth - you just have to work out your speed x length of line x starting depth relationships to figure out how deep the lure is working. I'm still working on those, but if I can do it in a systematic manner, it should be possible to say something like "okay, I'll let out 50' of line, move at 1.2 mph, and count the lure down for 20 seconds before I start - that should put the lure at 15'."

Anyway, that's what I've been doing - if you've trolled swimbaits, I'd be curious to hear what tactics you use.

I will troll from my float tube for many of the reasons stated above or often times I will let myself drift with the wind. Either way I like using this bottom bouncer.

I tried going to the Northland site but seems to be down. Anyways I will usually troll a floating BBZ1 or a Hudd 0. I use just enough weight to keep the rig standing upright 3/4 as an example for the BBZ with about a 3 foot mono leader. I've used the rig with some success including this 9.3# picutured here at the Lagoon.

93FULLPIC.jpg

I will troll from my float tube for many of the reasons stated above or often times I will let myself drift with the wind. Either way I like using this bottom bouncer:

A bottom bouncer - that's a great idea! I assume you troll along pretty slowly when you pull the bouncer? I'll have to give that a shot!

Awesome fish! There are so many nooks and crannys thst can hold a fish. That is a solid plan once you have hit the main stuff or are in route. Great job :D

Just at steady kicking speed which is not very fast in a tube :lol: I guess it would be equal to a medium retrieve. It's a great way to troll close to the bottom and rarely if ever get hung up.

I will always troll...Usually i will have a wake bait, mission fish, or a hudd tied on. Ill just let the boat drift while i cast another bait. Sometimes i cant stand sloooooow rolling so when the wind is right, i let it and the boat do the work for me....

Ignore the rucus and then half way to the boat, my line went loose and drag went free and i had to hand line the rest in, that was fun.....

7lbs 3oz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAv2m3fwKZ0

I will always troll...Usually i will have a wake bait, mission fish, or a hudd tied on. Ill just let the boat drift while i cast another bait. Sometimes i cant stand sloooooow rolling so when the wind is right, i let it and the boat do the work for me....

Ignore the rucus and then half way to the boat, my line went loose and drag went free and i had to hand line the rest in, that was fun.....

7lbs 3oz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAv2m3fwKZ0

That was awesome Micah!