Gan Craft 303 Swimming issue

El_Weruso

I wanted to see if someone could give me some insight on how a 303 should swim. I recently bought a 303 from another member on here and took it out for a swim. When i started to swim the bait it wouldn't glide side to side rather just swim in a straight line. Am i working it wrong? I have 2 split rings per treble hook to prevent the fish from spitting the bait. and i would pause between each crank of the reel to let the bait glide out to one side but it wouldn't. Any advice?

35 minutes ago, Gmcgee123 said:

I had the same problems with the smaller gans. I think you just have to use the tip of your rod more and force it to glide. 

Hmm, i'm going to try that. Idk the way the bait was swam on a youtube video that gancraft released made it look like it should swim just with the reeling action. 

10 minutes ago, Neill Hernandez said:

Hmm, i'm going to try that. Idk the way the bait was swam on a youtube video that gancraft released made it look like it should swim just with the reeling action. 

If you could figure out how to sand the joint down without making it leak it would swim better in a straight reel

9 minutes ago, Gmcgee123 said:

If you could figure out how to sand the joint down without making it leak it would swim better in a straight reel

I did that with a 230 model and it worked great. Going to put some time in with the bait before i do that. 

I had one before and it should swim with just reel turns. You do have to learn the cadence but if it’s swiming in a straight line it sounds like you’re reeling too slow, rod may be too stiff at the tip, or your line is too heavy. 

Play around with reel pops and rod twitches and see if you can get it moving. 

7 hours ago, biggfeast said:

I had one before and it should swim with just reel turns. You do have to learn the cadence but if it’s swiming in a straight line it sounds like you’re reeling too slow, rod may be too stiff at the tip, or your line is too heavy. 

hey Brian, I only have a Fury 795sb which i wish had more parabolic bend and I'm using mono since i need it for my punker too. Assuming I'm not going buying a new rod, what can you suggest i try? by line, is it more a matter of swapping out to eg fluro vs a lighter mono? cadence wise i'm still experimenting. Thx!

my 230 swims a foot wide on a straight retrieve, yours may have a leak and is retaining water. If that is the case email gancraft via their site, they will have a new bait at your door a week after sending a shipping label. It also looks like you have a split ring on there, I've found that the bait swims much better when tied on directly. 

Edited by SwimbaitNOVA

14 hours ago, biggfeast said:

I fish it with a lexa 300 6.1 and 25lb mono, is that ok?

9 hours ago, GrantA said:

Gan crafts are notorious for having small cracks and taking in water. May want to check that as well.

God i hope not, i'll submerge it in my fish tank and see if i see any bubbles. 

45 minutes ago, SwimbaitNOVA said:

my 230 swims a foot wide on a straight retrieve, yours may have a leak and is retaining water. If that is the case email gancraft via their site, they will have a new bait at your door a week after sending a shipping label. It also looks like you have a split ring on there, I've found that the bait swims much better when tied on directly. 

Thanks for the info! Going to try and listen for water in the bait and then tie directly and see how it swims.