Folded over baits

BamaChild

In a recent fishing trip I threw the mattlures hammertail shad and the huddleston 68 rof 12. With the hudd, I noticed multiple times that when I reeled in the bait, the tail was caught on the hook. This happened about 3 or so times. There were also some teeth marks on the tail and very few on the body of the bait. The same thing happened with the hammer tail except the eyes on the bait had been scratched from what I can only assume was a bass, and there is scarring on the body of the bait. Many times I reeleed in these folded baits and felt no tick of the line. I was throwing 20lb mono on a Daiwa DX SB medium heavy swimbait rod. Felt nothing on the line at all. Am I doing something wrong? What do you think happened? Thank you, BamaChild

• 3 weeks later...

Yup this happens sometimes when the bait hits the water tail first as opposed to belly first, especially on the 68's.    I've yet to have one fold and hook from a bite.   If you pay attention to your retrieve you'll be able to feel it when the tail is fouled on the hook based on the drag / resistance when you're reeling.  

Edited by oh da shiz