Glutton

thastickybandit

I got to take a few hours off of work to get some fishing in. I haven't fished this lake in a few months. To my surprise the lake was out of the banks and good portion of my spots I wanted to fish were not fishable due to it. I had been out about 7 hours with nothing. I wasn't seeing much except a few baby bass cruising around. I went to one spot that was accessible still and decided that'd be my last spot. The spot was a new dock that had been put in this summer. I had made a few cast on the dock with nothing. Then I heard a commotion behind me. Something was being chased. And big splash told me to throw over there. I pitch my alpha shad parallel to the bank and dock and upon retrieval a largemouth hits. I watch it hit and miss it. I pitch again and its gone. I make a decision to grab another rod and see if I can get a second chance.

I got my other set up(hinkle shad). And position myself different. This time I'm on the bank fishing towards the dock. I'm casting right past the first arm of the dock which is about 15-20' from the shore. I pitch my hinkle and give it half turns 1, 2, pause.... 1, 2, pause.... and out comes a fatty. I'm trying to make the most out of the little space but know it's not going to happen. I finish my retrieve and grab my alpha shad again.

I make the same exact cast with the alpha shad and let it sink. I wait till it hits bottom and begin creeping it. I'm reeling and watching for my bait. I get about halfway to the bank and the fish is following it. I get about 5 feet from the shore and the fish makes the move. I set the hook and reel. It begins to dive for the side and book it. I lost too many fish this year playing them so I walk back as I reel and drag it up on the bank. 

I let out a sigh and can't believe the size of this fish. I get the fish all calmed down and get it on my stringer. I put it back in the water ASAP and make a dash to truck for the scale and mat. Got the measurements and pics and sent the fish on its way!

Went 5.53 LBS

20" long 

16.25 girth

Equipment: Dobyns Fury 795, Daiwa Zillion Crazy Cranker, Sunline Sniper 16lb, and Rago Alpha Shad

IMG_3141.jpg

IMG_3145.jpg

IMG_3144.jpg

IMG_3143.jpg