Calcutta D

Brando88

• 5 weeks later...

The Calcutta D's are a tank of a reel. There is a slight inches per crank difference between the 300D-400D models though. The 300D has 30" per crank where the 400 has 27" per crank. Small difference but could be a factor in technique. Only downside I have heard is the weight: its a bit on the heavy side but I have never been bothered by it while fishing. Hope this helps. 

On 1/7/2019 at 11:44 AM, Badfish562 said:

The Calcutta D's are a tank of a reel. There is a slight inches per crank difference between the 300D-400D models though. The 300D has 30" per crank where the 400 has 27" per crank. Small difference but could be a factor in technique. Only downside I have heard is the weight: its a bit on the heavy side but I have never been bothered by it while fishing. Hope this helps. 

I have the 301D, it’s a great reel. What would you choose for fishing slammers? I was looking at getting the tranx 301a 5.8:1 don’t know if I should switch my calcutta 

On 1/11/2019 at 5:41 AM, addictedtomassbass said:

I have the 301D, it’s a great reel. What would you choose for fishing slammers? I was looking at getting the tranx 301a 5.8:1 don’t know if I should switch my calcutta 

I would say the Tranx 301A would be a much  more ergonomic reel as it fits in your hand better for flipping the slammers around but I have also seen 200 size reels do fine in that regard as well, Slammers really do not weigh too much so depending on the size the Curado 201K or Tranx 201 could also be a valid option. I would make the determination off of the line size you are going with, especially if you like to fish a cast worth of mono/flouro. At the end of the day it comes down to preference. 

I bought a 201 D last summer and so far I really like it.  I have it on a Dobyns 795 with 65 lb Power Pro with a 20 lb Floro leader. I'm using it for weedless  soft baits , I figured the narrower spool of a 201 reel would manage braid better to reduce wind knots & back lashes. 

Edited by Primus

14 minutes ago, Primus said:

I bought a 201 D last summer and so far I really like it.  I have it on a Dobyns 795 with 65 lb Power Pro with a 20 lb Floro leader. I'm using it for weedless  soft baits , I figured the narrower spool of a 201 reel would manage braid better to reduce wind knots & back lashes. 

What baits are you throwing on that rod and how is the setup working for you?

I mostly throw Weedless Hudd 68's , Matt lures Gills , realprey shiners etc. I got it late summer and had to cut to cut my season short due to my son starting his hockey season and other things that kept me real busy last fall so I don't have a lot of time with that combo. That said it cast very well ( I use 2 brakes ) and it is very smooth refined reel. Very impressed so far, I managed to drag a couple of fish in ( unfortunately no lunkers yet with that reel ) and it handled them no problem.  I will definitely will be giving it thorough workout when they start moving into shallow grass and hope to see it winch in some big ones out of the milfoil & lily pads. I don't have enough time with this reel to give it a total recommendation but if you are a guy who has confidence in Shimano and is comfortable with round reels you will probably be very happy with it. If not there is always ebay. Regarding my son ( proud Dad moment ) he had 3 goals ( what they call a Hat Trick )   and an assist the last game :-D.

• 3 weeks later...

These reels keep you on the water longer. Smooth silent casters that can handle a full spool of line. A day of sb fishing used to be a workout for me. I own 201 (4 braid), 301, and 401ds and I luv em all. Only downsides: they can be cold in your hand in cool weather. Also the internal brake spool adjustment is not that easy to adjust but I have not find it to be an issue, since I am throwing the big boys with em. 

P.S. Check black market I bought all of mine there practically bnib for under $200 each around when tranx debuted. But I never heard anybody say the Tranx is better not even the Shimano rep at recent show. The pricing on bw has been alot higher since tho.  I peek cuz I would not be able to resist a good deal. Ha ha. 

Edited by bigpoppabass