state by state 10 lb odds

azfisher

3 hours ago, bassing305 said:

Those ''pros'' fish for a 5 bass limit in a short amount of time given to them in a tournament. It is a different type of bass fishing. They are not trophy bass fishermen which fish with a different mindset. Muskie fishermen are very similar to trophy bass fishermen, both tend to focus on the biggest fish they can catch and do not care much for a 5 fish limit. A trophy bass fisherman is extremely patient and can easily wait weeks if not months to catch another trophy bass. 

Most people aren't trophy bass fisherman...

3 hours ago, Wes Peart said:

Most people aren't trophy bass fisherman...

That is true but most swimbait fishermen here are trophy bass fishermen or at least work hard to catch lots of big bass. I see you are from Georgia which is one of the best places in the USA to catch a double digit bass. Lots of different species of black bass as well.

On 1/29/2019 at 12:53 PM, bassing305 said:

The best place in the USA to catch a 10 pound or better largemouth bass in public waters is Florida, especially Central/Northern Florida. There are hundreds of public bodies of water in Florida that have 10 pound or better bass so you will have plenty of places to fish. If you need more proof you can check the TrophyCatch program where you can see pictures of hundreds of bass over 10 pounds that have been caught in Florida in the past couple years. These catches are only a very small number of the big bass caught in Florida since most people do not submit their catches to the TrophyCatch program. This makes sense since Florida strain largemouth bass are native to Florida and grow best here naturally. Our bass do not need to feed on dumb slow stocked trout to reach double digits and a dedicated Florida bass fisherman can expect to catch several big bass every year from public waters. Texas is second best in the USA since they have a great bass fishery. Cuba, Mexico, South Africa, and Japan are other good places to catch a 10 pound or better largemouth bass.

I’ve never fished Florida but I would suspect that your first statement is probably true. However, I’m in CA and I can tell you that “stocked trout” aren’t what get our fish to 10 lbs., it gets them to 15+. Don’t get me wrong, it helps and they’ll get to 10 quicker with good trout stockings but there are plenty of 10 lb bass caught in CA where there are very few or any trout (delta, Clearlake) CA doesn’t grow the biggest bass ONLY because of the trout stocking. We grow the biggest bass because it’s the best place in the world to grow big bass. Warm, clean, clear and deep water and plenty of shad, Kokanee, hitch, crawfish, sculpin, bluegill, crappie, squawfish, carp, catfish and, yes, trout, makes for really big bass. Florida has lots of water and really good growing seasons but implying that bass only get big in CA because of the trout is missing the larger part of the equation. 

On 1/27/2019 at 3:07 AM, bigpoppabass said:

Ever hear of the 10 year rule? The biggest bass in any fishery is caught 10 years after its first introduction.  There is a book about the the history of bass in NH, and it was like clockwork here for both sm and lm. I play the theory when I hear of a fish kill during a heavy ice season etc.

Idk if this applies to all water, but heres a lil story that goes against this theory. There is a crap hole in a lil lake around where i live. They did some special stocking in it with a bunch of special baby bass back in 06 and 07. Didnt put alot of fingerlings durring the stock either. Last year some guy pulled out a monster 12 plus this time last year, 8s maybe even a few tens through out the year- astronomical for this place right? Haha somebody pulled out a 14.5 this week. Both records blew the standing one away bye a long shot. And the lil lake never produced hardly anything bigger than a few pounds in the past.