question for 3:16 guys

cd7

new to this site but have a question for you guys. i'm not too big on the soft plastic 3:16 baits and have never had the chance to throw the hardbaits but my question has to do with the mission fish. i rarely ever fish this bait and when i say rarely i mean maybe a handful of times but i'll give it this. it gets bit. the problem i have is hooking the fish. i am a guy that swings hard when i feel that "thump"! should i be waiting a split second before setting the hook or what? thanks for your help

:

I swing as soon as i feel the bite and have a good hook up ratio. Have you watched the video mickey has about rigging the bait and slightly bending the hook? If not, its a great video to learn from and might help increase the hook up ratio.

Definitely bend the hook out to one side.

Just holding it in your hand you will see how much better the hookup ratio will be. Might also want to try fishing it on braid.

x2 thats whats so dope about your favorite bait maker being a swimbait fisherman also,he knows what hes talking about

watch the video it gives you insight on how to fish the bait like said before,I think its important to find out how baitmakers intended on a particulat bait to be fished because that particular bait was designed to be fish a specific way.

what rod are you using? I was fishing the 7" mission fish on a dobyns 806 for a while and had a lot of missed fish that I feel like was largely due in part to the rod being too soft. I starting fishing it on the 807 and feel like its a much better option for a bait like that. There is a lot of plastic to set into, if the rod is too soft there is no way you will have the energy required to really hammer in the hook.

My .02 Cents

Definitely bend the hook out to one side.

Just holding it in your hand you will see how much better the hookup ratio will be. Might also want to try fishing it on braid.

X2

bending the hook imo is a necessity

I fish it on braid

new to this site but have a question for you guys. i'm not too big on the soft plastic 3:16 baits and have never had the chance to throw the hardbaits but my question has to do with the mission fish. i rarely ever fish this bait and when i say rarely i mean maybe a handful of times but i'll give it this. it gets bit. the problem i have is hooking the fish. i am a guy that swings hard when i feel that "thump"! should i be waiting a split second before setting the hook or what? thanks for your help

:

BTW, if you don't like 3:16 softbaits now, just do some reading and watching on this site (especially in the got 'em section). I didn't have much confidence in any soft swimbait, but watching what some of these other guys are doing really helped me out. I'd say that would be your best bet to getting confidence with them.

what rod are you using? I was fishing the 7" mission fish on a dobyns 806 for a while and had a lot of missed fish that I feel like was largely due in part to the rod being too soft. I starting fishing it on the 807 and feel like its a much better option for a bait like that. There is a lot of plastic to set into, if the rod is too soft there is no way you will have the energy required to really hammer in the hook.

My .02 Cents

wow i am fishing the mike long 806 with the seven inch mission fish. might need to step it up to a more stout rod and braid. thank you very much.

:

BTW, if you don't like 3:16 softbaits now, just do some reading and watching on this site (especially in the got 'em section). I didn't have much confidence in any soft swimbait, but watching what some of these other guys are doing really helped me out. I'd say that would be your best bet to getting confidence with them.

well i'll be honest with you guys i have been kinda "robbing the sight" i.e stealing info and not giving any of my own for about six months and for that i apologize. i"ll make a habit out of sharing alot more. like i said as far as the 3:16 soft baits go i'm not crazy about em but they do get bit. so the fish obviously do like em. i've seen on this sight what they can do. thank you everybody for your help. i'll start posting more often and keeping in touch.

if your looking for a better hook up ratio, try a rising son. rarely miss em on that!

ya i've tried other line through swimbaits and i like to uphill it alot and they just dont cut it in this lake i throw it at because its so thick with weeds. the mission fish is definately the more weedless and i like to fish it really really slow. thanks for the heads up though