Newbie hardwear questions?

Flash

When you get new hard swimbaits what all hardware needs replaced? I see people replacing hooks and swivels...but what kinds are the most recommended? I was thinking thinner hooks but tough enough to not bend...  Also am I supposed to put a swivel or clip on the front of the bait to prevent line twist or fish them right on the ring? Thanks guys!!

It’s all personal preference but one thing to remember. Lighter wire hooks, split rings, swivels off the front all weigh the bait down. Thinner wire hooks will make it sink slower heavier wire hooks and splits sink faster and yadda yadda. Just keep that in mind

Some baits definitely need hard wear replaced... others are OK. Overall, if you don't 100% trust it, replace it. Not worth losing a PB for the couple dollars you may spend on hooks. 

Different baits swim differently with or without split rings or snaps... Everyone has an opinion or thought on what is right here. My best advice is just try it all and see what you like the best action-wise. Also, if you need help with choosing hooks here's a chart that "thedonnguyen" was putting together. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/112Cno2u_gclD1rTnOKj9oI2THaZVuP9dEWGGnLAg8vc/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by castandblast
Forgot to put in link

Tons of info in the search bar. But heres a very brief explanation...

Owner is a very trusted brand. Owner st-36 and sr-41. Cant go wrong with these. 1/0 for 7"+ and 1 for smaller.

Owner hyper wire for spit rings. No need to get fancy.

A split ring on the front, or not all depends on the bait. For example. On glides personally i like a split ring, but on a TT i tie direct. It gives a slight different action either way, just experiment.

Everything above is 100% my opinion, again, just get out on the water and try out different things. 

7 minutes ago, castandblast said:

Some baits definitely need hard wear replaced... others are OK. Overall, if you don't 100% trust it, replace it. Not worth losing a PB for the couple dollars you may spend on hooks. 

Different baits swim differently with or without split rings or snaps... Everyone has an opinion or thought on what is right here. My best advice is just try it all and see what you like the best action-wise. Also, if you need help with choosing hooks here's a chart that "thedonnguyen" was putting together. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/112Cno2u_gclD1rTnOKj9oI2THaZVuP9dEWGGnLAg8vc/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks man!! I've been watching Tactical Bassin and crazybassfishers youtube channels on swimbaits and found some content on hook selection. I thought the Owner ST-36's looked nice!

I also use snaps on everything...partly because you can swap baits in a jiffy but mostly because I'm lazy. I'd recommend Decoy egg snaps size 4 or 5. Snaps or rings will give you maximum unimpeded motion of your bait. If you want to tone down the action then tie direct.

7 hours ago, danthefisherman said:

I also use snaps on everything...partly because you can swap baits in a jiffy but mostly because I'm lazy. I'd recommend Decoy egg snaps size 4 or 5. Snaps or rings will give you maximum unimpeded motion of your bait. If you want to tone down the action then tie direct.

You don't get worried about the snap being weakend from being open and closed all the time? I as well swear by decoy eggs but my snap gets put on the bait and stays with the said  bait. 

2 hours ago, M.Krys860 said:

You don't get worried about the snap being weakend from being open and closed all the time? I as well swear by decoy eggs but my snap gets put on the bait and stays with the said  bait. 

So far I haven't had one fail on me, but it sure will be painful if it happens on my next pb. I do switch them out when they get noticeably weaker though...

On 3/8/2019 at 11:08 AM, M.Krys860 said:

I as well swear by decoy eggs but my snap gets put on the bait and stays with the said  bait. 

This is what I do also. I don't really feel comfortable with tying to a split ring, so I use a snap as a direct substitute, not for ease of changing baits.