Suggestions for Swimbaits in New England

joeralls

Hey all, 

I'm from New England and pretty new to the swimbait scene and want to get going a bit more. I fish mostly in Maine. Mostly rock/boulders and some grass once the summer kicks in. Any suggestions for a noob? Thanks !

5 hours ago, joeralls said:

Hey all, 

I'm from New England and pretty new to the swimbait scene and want to get going a bit more. I fish mostly in Maine. Mostly rock/boulders and some grass once the summer kicks in. Any suggestions for a noob? Thanks !

If there is one bait from now until winter, day or night, The 7 inch MS Slammer! 

If you're not sure whether you want to commit to specialized tackle just yet, Savage Gear makes a ton of models at a very affordable price. We don't talk much about their products because they're not as cool as custom builds I guess, but they definitely catch fish.

11 hours ago, MartinG said:

If there is one bait from now until winter, day or night, The 7 inch MS Slammer

Awesome thanks for the suggestion! Trying to put some baits together for spring spawn.. Not sure if a glider or some other style like a Hud would be better. Then again i could just try them all haha

10 hours ago, danthefisherman said:

If you're not sure whether you want to commit to specialized tackle just yet, Savage Gear makes a ton of models at a very affordable price. We don't talk much about their products because they're not as cool as custom builds I guess, but they definitely catch fish.

No one cares for em cause they’re easy to get and affordable, weird weird swimbait world 

17 hours ago, joeralls said:

Hey all, 

9” slammer in baby bass or perch would be my first purchase (7” is ok too, but the 9” is the go to) 

river2sea s waver 200 

g2 shellcracker 

hudd 68

beast coast miyagi swimmers (cheap and durable) 

everyone from New England will say Pats but good luck with that 

4 hours ago, joeralls said:

Awesome thanks for the suggestion! Trying to put some baits together for spring spawn.. Not sure if a glider or some other style like a Hud would be better. Then again i could just try them all haha

Speaking of hudds Joe, a bait that is always tied on for me,probably many as well the Huddleston weedless shad, affordable and a quick preorder on TW, and gets BIT! With the bait you can also use your regular jigging set up. Had to share don’t want you to miss it! That and the slammer will cover your bases! 

2 hours ago, MartinG said:

Speaking of hudds Joe, a bait that is always tied on for me,probably many as well the Huddleston weedless shad, affordable and a quick preorder on TW, and gets BIT! With the bait you can also use your regular jigging set up. Had to share don’t want you to miss it! That and the slammer will cover your bases! 

That's perfect! Using my jig setups to get the feel for swimbaits before committing with a whole new rod/reel. thank you!

Slammers don't work for me in rock lakes. A monster jack sr. in art berry trout is worth it if u can find one. Check ebay....it is a pull and twitch deal....it is also worth throwing a gantarel, but there is a learning curve to this bait good jerkbait throwers tend to learn easily. Both baits don't have the prettiest retrieves....and good luck getting one but a 316 baby perch or wake Jr. is prob. Easiest way to get bit eating a Sammy and deadsticking it when ur tired. Ha ha. 

Edited by bigpoppabass

17 hours ago, bigpoppabass said:

Slammers don't work for me in rock lakes. A monster jack sr. in art berry trout is worth it if u can find one. Check ebay....it is a pull and twitch deal....it is also worth throwing a gantarel, but there is a learning curve to this bait good jerkbait throwers tend to learn easily. Both baits don't have the prettiest retrieves....and good luck getting one but a 316 baby perch or wake Jr. is prob. Easiest way to get bit eating a Sammy and deadsticking it when ur tired. Ha ha. 

I'm learning quickly this market is heavy on after market purchases. so may handmade and hugeee demand. Must work though haha

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2019 at 9:18 PM, MaineBassin said:

where in maine?

I fish mostly up in the Belgrade area. Augusta, Vassalboro, Oakland. There are so many great lakes within an hour drive of eachother. 

31 minutes ago, joeralls said:

I fish mostly up in the Belgrade area. Augusta, Vassalboro, Oakland. There are so many great lakes within an hour drive of eachother. 

exactly. i have a bunch within 30 min. toss kayak in truck and go.  im on western maine. norway area. belgrade area is def nice placeto fish and enjoy outdoors.