trout stock

I have been on the water when fish and game came in to stock. The big bass were on it the second those trout started hitting the water. In my experience they know what that noise means and they don't wait for those easy meals to spread out and acclimate. The trick is getting a bite when all those snacks are twitching around.

5 hours ago, Dsouth said:

CT + RI still have opening trout season day so LM guys have to wait till opening trout season in April so we miss out on some of the best times to land a giant.

Just curious, but do they just not open the trout lakes until the opening of trout season, is that why you can't bass fish during that time?

On 3/22/2019 at 7:44 PM, Sciaramitaro said:

Couple lakes I fish that are trout stocked shut off once they dump trout. A week later, it’s a frenzy. I guess you just don’t really know, it depends on your area and depends on how plentiful your fish are eating beforehand. Either way, these stockers aren’t going deep within the first week or so. I’d throw a weighted hudd zero, a slow slow top water to imitate a dead stocker, or any bait that’ll stay from the surface to about 5-7 ft. That’s my view on it, others may say different 

Thought I was the only one! They dont announce the actual dates in WA either and there has been many times I have shown up to lakes within a day or two of stocking and not even seen a bass. So frustrating when you hear about these feeding frenzies that happen down south after they plant fish. 

Usually in MA they won’t let you know an exact date. They just say the week of whatever date they choose. Could be the Monday of the week they say or could be the Friday, gotta get lucky I guess. Might have better luck if you call mass fisheries and ask, I have before and they seem to be pretty accurate

On 3/23/2019 at 12:35 PM, NEbucketmouth19 said:

Just curious, but do they just not open the trout lakes until the opening of trout season, is that why you can't bass fish during that time?

Yes, you’re allowed to fish in CT + RI for LM as long as it’s not a trout stocked pond.

Last fall the weekend after the stockings at a local pond of mine I had one of the best days throwing big sbs bite wise. Couldn't manage to land a fish but had multiple bites on a 250 and a baitsmith. Sadly, weekends are the only time I can fish since I am still in school but I would really want to fish during the stockings.

It's a mix for me here in So Cal, when i'm there during the day of a planting or days after it's random whether they are blowing up on the trout or not. I've only gotten trout biters before and after but never during. Could be the style of bait i'm using Glides/reaction Trout swimbaits)? As oppose to a bottom bait like a hudd

On 3/24/2019 at 1:25 PM, Sciaramitaro said:

Usually in MA they won’t let you know an exact date. They just say the week of whatever date they choose. Could be the Monday of the week they say or could be the Friday, gotta get lucky I guess. Might have better luck if you call mass fisheries and ask, I have before and they seem to be pretty accurate

Just fish every day. Wham bam!