Go big or go home -- newbie swimbait story

Hojo

So I've been lurking on here for a little while and really have enjoyed learning about throwing big baits. I don't have the specific swimbait gear so I've been using a Dobyns 735 and conquest 100 with 30lb power pro. I started with the BBZ 4" shad and did well and then went with my first soft bait a Mattlures U2 gill. I was getting hits but not hooking up. Then I sort of said to heck with it and ordered a Mini slammer (bass), some 3:16 Little boogers, and the 8" Rising Son top hook (black). I have to add here the part about how my order from 3:16 had a little surprise in it - some 3:16 soft bait glue, what great customer service!!

So I know the RS is overpowering the rod, but go big or go home right? So at 4:30am I was casting out the RS on a little urban pond here in North Texas and slow grinding it back in. I didn't follow all the advice in the night-fishing thread, specifically I have no idea what this baits doing in the water, just that it lands like a ton of bricks. I'm having my doubts that there is anything in this pond big enough to eat it, I doubting my choice to only bring the big baits, I'm doubting what I am doing up at 4:30 knowing that the pregnant wife, twin 5yr old girls, and the 2yr old will all be up in a couple of hours and so begins a crazy Saturday b/c the house was flooded by a broken pipe yesterday....then reality hits.

About the 4th cast and halfway down the bank from where it landed the Rising Son gets freight-trained. Not sure if the rod actually left my hands or that my shoulder dislocated and then returned, but the fight was on. She came to shore and there is a 20" bass that weighs in the 6-7lb range (no scale and measured off the rod). She was a pig with massive shoulders and almost grotesquely full belly, simply awesome. Of course, I left the cell phone for pictures in the truck and there is no one around...I noted that the RS was approx 6" above the fish and I'm thinking I'll find the treble in front lips somewhere. Nope, it was lodged in the roof of her mouth almost to the crushers. This girl choked on the RS like...(analogy about the ex-wife, ex-girlfriend and/or boss here). That did it, I am officially hooked on swimbaits. Not another hit all morning and then the tragic happened. I botched a cast a watched the RS sail off into the pre-dawn sky and crash into the water...

So, thank you SU for enabling yet another, thank you to the specific posters who share so much so freely, thank you to 3:16 for great baits and hooking a newbie up. My wallet does not thank you so much.... Okay off to make another 3:16 order. Hope you enjoyed sharing in my excitement and heartbreak...

I need suggestions on big-bait rod as well...

Congratulations on catching a piggy! Now you know why the folks on here are addicted to it. ; 0 )

There are some folks on here who can give you some great advice on rods but - What size baits to you intend to throw for the most part? Also, how important is budget?

Guess in my excitement, I forgot that part... I am thinking of things like the RS, K9, 8" hudds... then maybe some hardbaits (still have to workup to paying that much for a bait). Looks like the Dobyns 807 (3-10oz) would be perfect...didn't know how bad I needed that one on the Black Market, but it seems it sold. Anyone else have one they want to get rid of? I saw an older ad for a at G Loomis SWBR904C - but looks as if that is only 1-3oz and I would be lacking some for those baits? Let's say budget would be $250 hard ceiling...

Congratulations on catching a piggy! Now you know why the folks on here are addicted to it. ; 0 )

There are some folks on here who can give you some great advice on rods but - What size baits to you intend to throw for the most part? Also, how important is budget?

I was thinking the same thing, TR, I have a few ideas myself already, but it would be good to know what you're looking for ....

only one rod to buy for the price LDC production H. Great rod to start with and Ben is an awesome guy call him he will talk to you about what your fishing needs are and which rod you should buy. Great story and good luck!

Hojo, welcome. That one 'bump' on the line is definitely addicting. I have a Dobyns 806 ML that I really like for baits from 3oz up to 6.5oz. I would really recommend a longer handle (approx 25"). I've also heard great things about LDC rods and can't wait to try them out.

Thanks so much for the warm welcome! Mike (spectrum), I got the PM but am too new to respond - can you sen an email to giovanni_133@hotmail(dot)com and we can work something out. Thanks for all the rod recommendations so far, I've got some research to do.

cool deal man! sounds like fellow Texan Spectrum is already hooking you up with some goodies, and he's what some might consider a northerner.! We've adopted him as a native son 'cause he's cool though :D

Welcome to the insanity. There's a few of us fellow addicts in the DFW area besides myself and JT who'd be glad to meet up with you and let you field test our gear. Just know that if you fish with JT, you'll be jones'n for an LDC-XH and an OG wake. And if you fish with me you'll wish you'd gone with someone who could actually catch a fish :(

cool deal man! sounds like fellow Texan Spectrum is already hooking you up with some goodies, and he's what some might consider a northerner.! We've adopted him as a native son 'cause he's cool though :D

I think I'm OK with being considered a northerner, as long as that's an acceptable excuse for why I can't catch a damn fish in this state.

I was gonna use the Y word, but was trying to be nice :D

I think I'm OK with being considered a northerner, as long as that's an acceptable excuse for why I can't catch a damn fish in this state.

If that's the case, at least you HAVE an excuse.

Trophy, didn't realize you were so close! I'm down the road in N. Richland Hills, and we definately need to get together and "field test" some equipment cause after the Pig, I've blanked the last few nights. I figured it is the swimbait gods testing my resolve.

only one rod to buy for the price LDC production H. Great rod to start with and Ben is an awesome guy call him he will talk to you about what your fishing needs are and which rod you should buy. Great story and good luck!

I wouldn't go with a Production H with 8" hudds. The XH I think would be better for that. And the XH Custom is better even yet for 8" Hudds.

6" baits are better suited for the Production H, so it seems.

Guess in my excitement, I forgot that part... I am thinking of things like the RS, K9, 8" hudds... then maybe some hardbaits (still have to workup to paying that much for a bait). Looks like the Dobyns 807 (3-10oz) would be perfect...didn't know how bad I needed that one on the Black Market, but it seems it sold. Anyone else have one they want to get rid of? I saw an older ad for a at G Loomis SWBR904C - but looks as if that is only 1-3oz and I would be lacking some for those baits? Let's say budget would be $250 hard ceiling...

get a production ldc that should be good...i think :?: