"Chatterbait" bluegills and XL Jitterbug style bait

KeepinItReelFishing

Where: NJ

Where-where: Northwest, Sussex area

When: 6:30PM - 9:30PM

Lures: Chatter-gill, Sea Fly 

A solid night yesterday on numbers (5 bass) for only about three hours on the water.  Good size however continues to elude me.

I had it in my head to dig a little deeper in the crates and run some stuff I haven't in a while.  A few years ago I thought what would happen if I added a chatterbait style blade to the Mattlures Ultimate gill.  Turns out it does something interesting.  Yes, it gives you the shake and vibration you would expect, but the main thing it does is slow down the lure and generate a lot...I mean A LOT of lift.  End result; You can craaawwll the bait at a super slow speed while easily keeping it on top.  In comparison to my multi segment hard wake baits or floaters the action is much more subtle, and unique.  I like this rig for glass calm condition with low light.  Its just not as intrusive as the big wakes that click and clack with their body segments.  Granted, sometimes that's the deal.....but particularly in that super slick, glass calm water the very subtle action of this rig has paid dividends over the years when those others wouldn't get a look.  Try it....see what you think.

Now, once nightfall came and it got dark-dark I pulled out the Lemire's Sea Fly (5", 3oz).  This thing makes the Arbogast Jitterbug XL look like a little toy.  Its an all wood bait, line through, with a XXL swiveling barrel for the marine grade treble hook.  If ya miss them on that and they grab the tail what they get then is a 4/0 inline hook.  Point being your likely fishing this around weeds/cover and both hook propositions are purposeful in keeping your giant on even in those sketchy areas....at night.....where you can't see what they hell is quite happening out there.  

Another interesting thing I have noticed, there are no subtle strikes on big/XL sized Jitterbug style lures.  EVERY. SINGLE. ONE is like a small stick of TNT exploded under the lure.  Something about that very loud and deep 'PLOP - PLOP - PLOP'.  No slurping baits off the surface with these, its absolute 100% "I'm gonna f'in crush every bone in your body" style strikes!!  I truly think this is due to the sound and relating 'swim signature'.  They believe that only a violently crushing blow will be able to subdue this meal.  Many of my other large wakes....9" Slammer, 3:16 Wake Jr., 8" Mattlures Meathead, etc.  I get the lure either slurped off the surface or these minimal strikes.  Just something to keep in mind if your of the "I like heart stopping, Jaw's-like strikes in the dead of night" persuasion.  And really, that's a rhetorical statement.  If your not, leave now.  LOL

I know most of us travel in the same circles....so if you see is this post over on SU ignore it....its the same.

Carl / Keepin'ItREEL Fishing

Lemire's Sea Fly bass 1.jpg

Lemire's Sea Fly bass 2.jpg

UG 1.jpg

UG 2.jpg

UG 3.jpg

UG 4.jpg

awesome, love how you dialed that pattern all on your own through bait tinkering, sounds like I gotta borrow that idea from you hahaha, I can even get the numbers right now, lucky to get 1 dink per trip recently

On 6/25/2019 at 4:22 PM, 168 Rookie said:

In your first pic, that fish has another hook in its mouth, did you notice that??  From an old breakoff you think?

Yup.  I did see it and removed it.  It looked to be one of those Eagle Claw snelled hooks.  I feel like some  kid was fishing with a little worm for some bluegills and then met this bass!

• 5 months later...