Question about braid line...

wilkin8977

So I wanted to know if I should be using a leader on braided line for swimbaits? If so what type of leader do you reccomend? Also the best way to attach the leader to the braid and best way to tie it to the bait. Thanks!

I use the modified albright with a drop of super glue to connect a 25lb P-line fluro or 25lb polymer leader. You have to be careful when tying the connection knot, so that the knot lays down correctly. Some people actually will burn the tag ends of the knot to prevent slipping. I tie uni knot to connect the bait. I only use this set up on sinking baits.

on Wakes and walking baits I use straight braid.

If you are worried about the connection knot, I would just fish mono or polymer. I haven't had a good experience running straight fluro...maybe I just fished the wrong kind but I don't think I will do it again...that is just me.

Theres a new braid out called "Zilla Braid" that is designed to stretch and return to original condition to stretch again that Spiderwire just dropped. I dont like braid for my treble baits cuz I rip hooks out but Im going to give this new braid a try and tie direct unless its in the clearest of waters. I dont like the added knot so i run my main line straight to the bait, but others seem to do more than fine with leaders. Kinda off topic but that new braid looks promising.

The waters I fish are probably a max of 10 feet visibility, and Ive tried using a leader(25lb mono to 80lb braid using "alberto knot") and I've also used straight 80lb power pro. I actually prefer the straight braid when possible, and it's worked for me. Now there is no telling if I've scared fish away. I got followers both ways. My PB is caught on straight braid.

I think if your waters are crystal clear or if your lake gets a lot of pressure, you should almost always use a leader for sinking baits.