Deep Summertime Swimbait Options

lmv_bassfishing

When fish go deep, I’m talking 20’+, for the summertime on your waters what do you guys throw or what techniques do you guys use to still chuck swimbaits at that depth. I know some guys who still throw Hudds all year round and smack them but I want to know other baits utilized for this depth and time of year!

I usually switch to a rago weedless or 316WRS. Slow roll it or roll it until I hit a piece of object of any kind and pop it hard and let it sit for a couple of seconds, then continue the same retrieve. My bites usally come on the pop or right after the pause. I'm sure this technique will work with other baits but these are the two I usally throw. 

I fish deep weed lines 15'-20' .Points and off shore reefs with little to no snags, maybe some rocks and boulders. That said I like countdown type baits, like Hiro gillrilas and the like. It's not the most efficient way to cover water, but I feel if there's a big girl in the area she's gonna chomp it. I also like the Rago weedless shad, and WRS.

3 hours ago, Texasfishn said:

I like to throw a 5” or 6” Booty Shaker on a 1oz or bigger head when I’m going deep Swimbait fishing. 

@Texasfishn

I've got the 7" Booty Shaker but have barely thrown it yet. You find those get bit good in your neck of the woods?

On 7/3/2019 at 10:25 AM, lmv_bassfishing said:

When fish go deep, I’m talking 20’+, for the summertime on your waters what do you guys throw or what techniques do you guys use to still chuck swimbaits at that depth. I know some guys who still throw Hudds all year round and smack them but I want to know other baits utilized for this depth and time of year!

Just curious but what is the structure like where you are fishing in that depth ?... grass, rocks, etc ?

57 minutes ago, 168 Rookie said:

@Texasfishn

I've got the 7" Booty Shaker but have barely thrown it yet. You find those get bit good in your neck of the woods?

Honestly the 6 is as big as I’ve fished, but I’ve  had a fair amount of success with them deep and jigging them around docks. I’ll jig the 4” typically around docks. I use the Jenko heads with them, love the body roll and thump to them. One thing I’ve learned though is definitely glue the bait on the head, those things are heavy and slide down after a bit of use. 

Edited by Texasfishn

24 minutes ago, lmv_bassfishing said:

It's mostly rocks with some vegetation thrown in like weed lines and different stuff.

I know it’s scary but I like to use hard baits in 20+ feet like the 10” TT or Gan Craft 230 especially if there are open water suspenders, etc ... lately I have been really working on the deep presentations and not rely on the traditional cast and wind only covering the top quarter of the water column ... Granted the baits I mentioned I would use in a situation with minimal vegetation but ripping the TT along weedlines or even out of the weeds on straight braid is fun and usually can illicit some viscous strikes