Euro Wels trip year #3

Nateraz

Went on my annual trip to Europe this year and as usual I was looking forward to fish for these large catfish again. Last year I only managed to catch two fish, one about 1 meter long and the other 1.95 meters long. Both still very far away from the trophy length and size of 250cm. At the start of my trip this year I jokingly said that my goal was to catch a catfish measuring in excess of 250cm. Even most of the local fisherman don’t have a catfish personal best exceeding 250cm.

For the first part of my trip I was limited to only fishing this small body of water with very few catfish in it. Although I got up in the early hours multiple days I was unfortunate and ended up getting zero hits and only spooked one away from the bank.

Luckily in the next week me and my local friend were a level to hit one of the bigger river systems and had a pretty good day, me and 3 other friends ended up catching 16 in one day, the biggest ones were just shy of 2 meters.

1454504916_catfish1m80.jpg.89bc6156a42d351132cc3f6812392cde.jpg

1559381387_cf1m85.thumb.jpg.83c0ba27fa95dd76bbe41ccc786d0ce4.jpg

705165828_cf1m90.thumb.jpg.c8c460bd3aaba3fc89e8fd46487e16b0.jpg

In the second week of the trip my family had rented a house a few hours away right beside one of the best rivers in France. So of course I was going to go to the river every chance I got. This ended up being some of the best fishing of my life. The first morning I got up at 3am and drove about 40 minutes to the spot, it’s a deep pool with lots of current I chose to use a big 10” paddle tail swimbait with a 40gram jighead due to the fact it was still dark out and wanted something with a lot of thump. I ended up catching a catfish 2 meters long within 5 casts. After releasing that fish I caught another catfish this one turned out to be 2m05cm. Still a long way from the length I wanted but I was beyond stoked with those two fish that morning.

1744406396_catfish2m.thumb.jpg.0a8df0f2e639b79470a0bcfdad0c8c45.jpg

1165803658_catfish2m05.thumb.jpg.a5f8e2c70fa75a110dae4ccf5d4e833d.jpg

The next morning i wake up at 3am again, this time i caught a lot more fish at the spot but they were all small. I decided i would make my last cast and than go home as the bite was dying, with the last 10 feet of line out i get thumped hard. I swing and set the hook and this fish rips out into the middle of the fast current. I fight the fish to shore and get a hold of it. I bring it to the bank for pictures and measure it. 2m10cm, getting bigger, i let the fish go and head home.

1570548485_nathanfrenchcatfish2m10.thumb.jpg.2303791d5b5c58796c28e63fa6b90650.jpg

The next day i decide to sleep in to go do some sight seeing with the family. I end u p deciding to go out that evening. I get to the spot around 8pm and fish for a few hours with only one bite, i was thinking that maybe i had hit the spot too hard the past few days and i should let it rest so i can come back tomorrow morning for my last day there. I make one last cast and yet again with 10 feet of line out i get the biggest hit i have ever gotten on a lure. I set the hook and this fish rips 75-80 yards of line out on a basically almost locked down Calcutta 400TE. Now i knew this one was giant, i fought the fish for about 45 minutes and i finally lay eyes on this fish. It is massive and easily the biggest freshwater fish i have caught on a lure. I bring it to shore and take the best pictures i can as it is almost pitch black out and i am by myself. I go looking through my bag for my tape measure and realize i left it at home that day after re organizing. So I cut a piece of fishing line and measure the fish with it than cut it and save that for when  i get home. Once i get home i measure the line, the tape measure reads 2m56cm! I was blown away and overjoyed. Since watching river monsters as a kid i had always been captivated by wels catfish and their fearlessness of basically anything. 

1723908360_catfish2m562.thumb.jpg.cf689e73297f066e1dc6b6f46f7d93b4.jpg1759990576_catfish2m56rightway.thumb.jpg.358997060332d75affd07fa85b7159b1.jpg

I still have 2 more days of fishing left on this trip and will add pictures in the comments below if i get anything else noteworthy.

catfish 2m56.jpg

Simply awesome!  Congratulations on some amazing fish and your new PB!  I love throwing swimbaits for wels catfish and it sounds like you've found just the spot.  We might need to talk...I'm headed to France next summer for work and if I can get in some catfish swimbait sessions, it will make it an epic trip.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...