Tuning Monka Lure Works Crawler

Basszilla

I have one of the SU Colab. Jointed MLW Crawlers.  I love it and stuck a good fish on it yesterday.  That fish swallowed the bait whole and it it is now out of tune.

Are there any tips on getting it back in tune?

I think the arms may be slightly bend and the screw eyes on the sides that control the motion of the wings may need some re-alignment.

Thanks

36 minutes ago, Basszilla said:

I have one of the SU Colab. Jointed MLW Crawlers.  I love it and stuck a good fish on it yesterday.  That fish swallowed the bait whole and it it is now out of tune.

Are there any tips on getting it back in tune?

I think the arms may be slightly bend and the screw eyes on the sides that control the motion of the wings may need some re-alignment.

Thanks

i would start by making the arms straight and realigning the screw eyes. pics might help. 

a little bending at a time is the best approach, crawler type baits need tuning on the regular. 

Thanks, I’m going to have to take it to a pool and test/tune it.  From their website, it looks like the Japanese ones have the screw eyes where the low-side is slightly forward.  The SU article says they tune the US to run faster than the Japanese ones, so maybe the straight screw eyes run faster.  

Hi, I just wanted to close this off.

I e-mailed Hiro at Monka Customs and from the pictures he could tell what was going on.  He gave me some tips to tune it on the water.  I took it out to a local pond this morning and it now swims like it did originally.

The key was to watch the bait and see which arm was not able to “raise or turnover”, then turn the screweye on that arm towards the head of the bait.  After a little tweaking back and forth between the arms, it was swimming correctly.  

On 8/16/2019 at 12:25 PM, Basszilla said:

Hi, I just wanted to close this off.

I e-mailed Hiro at Monka Customs and from the pictures he could tell what was going on.  He gave me some tips to tune it on the water.  I took it out to a local pond this morning and it now swims like it did originally.

The key was to watch the bait and see which arm was not able to “raise or turnover”, then turn the screweye on that arm towards the head of the bait.  After a little tweaking back and forth between the arms, it was swimming correctly.  

Thanks for this, I've got one if the FP crawlers and this will be a help for when it gets outta tune. These things have such a killer action!

I'd kill to have one of his giant FG crawlers, those things look so sick.

Edited by Wes Peart