Opinions on a kayak?

SPEEDBEAD

Speed, sit on it!!! Get a sit on top no matter what! I suggest either look for a used boat; Wilderness Systems makes great general purpose boats like the Tarpons, Rides, Commanders. Big Box sports stores like Academy, Dicks, Basspro carries some rebranded boats like a Heritage Redfish or Ascend. Don't get a sit in!

I haven't fished much from a kayak, but recently been trying to get into it. It seems to be a big thing around here.

I've tried a couple and found out that I don't like either of them. I can't sit down and fish all day, so I have to find something I can stand in. Getting blown around by the wind annoys me. I like to sit on a spot and pick it apart. I thought the pedal drive system on a Hobie would be nice to keep fishing rather than put down the rod to pick up the paddle all the time, but it feels kind of useless and just in the way because I want to stand up. Most of these "complaints" are just things you have to learn to handle and adjust for, and that comes with time from what I've been told talking to some guys.

I think if I end up getting one, I'm going to go with the Commander. The sit in/canoe style is appealing because I can kind of dump what I need in the back and not have to always deal with lashing everything down, putting things back in their specific spot all the time. Top Ramen has one and showed me some things about it that I really like. The molded in high seat, the normal seat slides out of the way. Hell you don't even need to take the seat with you if you don't want.

But I need to try one on the water, and the Ride. The other one that is kind of appealing is this Diablo Adios thing. Jacksons Coosa and Cuda are also ones I need to look at. But I still have a hard time with the idea of spending $1000-$1500 on a kayak.

I don't know enough about all of them to be of much help anyway, but I just thought I'd mention what bugs me about kayaks in general and what I've found that I do and don't like.

I fish 80% of the time out of a 120 pungo. It is a sit in style which does limit you to sitting all the time but I don't mind. The phase 3 seat that comes with most wilderness systems kayaks is extremely comfortable. I can sit in the yak for more than 6 hours without getting too sore. Me myself I like sit in kayaks cause I don't like to get wet while I'm fishing. Which doesn't sound like a big deal but fishing early spring or late fall might change your tune. I ended up getting a little cart for it so I can hike into some places with limited access. It's big enough to take down to the ocean but not too big to drag around pond hoping. There's a ton of cool stuff out there if you want to spend the money. JMO. Here's my ride.

33B00889-45FD-4950-98F6-B69E9521EC37-569-00000180EA3C9B9A.jpg

23FDBF46-4AC8-4E8F-AF2E-FF6F5ADA2C9E-569-00000180F8DB0F91.jpg

Thanks fellas.

Hearing the same thing here as I have from others. The guys who I have met have told me that I probably wont fit too well in a sit in.

Think I'm gonna explore the sit ons or perhaps a 'toon for the small ponds I want to fish.

Thanks fellas.

Think I'm gonna explore the sit ons or perhaps a 'toon for the small ponds I want to fish.

SPEED, I had a Hobie Outback with the Mirage Drive. It was cool but I much prefer fishing out of a boat. Yes, it allowed me to get to places where launching a boat was near impossible and got me off the bank, but I found that, even with the kayak being stable, I couldn't really lean into a cast. Also, the long butt-ends of swimbait rods became more of an annoyance rather than a benefit when space was limited. I also think that some of the fish that I lost were due to me playing them at water level rather than up higher. It was almost like when they jumped they could play the angles. That, or I just suck that bad. (could be either) And, if I can use a word I posted earlier today in a different thread, after a few hours in the 'yak, I got butthurt. :lol: Meaning, it ain't too comfortable to sit there for hours on end.

Some guys love kayaks and I've even read of guys selling their boats to fish out of 'em full time. I'm not one of them.

The boat is definitely not going anywhere.

This is more or less to hit local ponds where bank access is extremely limited, float the river between two points and fish the holes from point A to B and to maybe get the wife out paddling in her own yak eventually.

I've fished out of a sit-in for years and just recently picked up a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 for 30% off at an EMS and love it. The sit on tops offer more stability, room for gear, and freedom of movement. Whatever you wind up wanting to try though, either borrow, rent, or demo before you buy.