2nd glide bait in progress

trnsfererr

After spending too much time with details, molds, foiling, paint on a glide bait that I didn't know if I could get it to swim right, I decided to make this one a bit more simple. I learned a lot from the first one so I won't count it as a loss. Here it is, I wanted to resemble the shape of pike minnow, but I think it can be painted to look like anything. 

2019-11-14.jpg

I used Pine wood for the first time and ended up having issues drilling the holes straight from the top to bottom because of wood grain. I even ended up making a jig to hold it correct but the drill bit would start bending around the grain. Not sure how to avoid this in the future.

2019-11-14.jpg

It looks a little front heavy in this picture but I realized after the hook was super glued to the hook keeper. I didn't take a picture after but it was pretty well balance and slow sinking.

Short swim vid of it. Not really happy with the swim, I am going to try and widen the swim a little, I used a 30 degree angle cut for the hinge. 

11 hours ago, TootsMalone said:

Looks awesome man! Did you try sanding the tail section down to a steeper angle to give it a little more room to move side to side? 

I am going to try that next hopefully give it a wider glide.

11 hours ago, El_Weruso said:

Just sand out a groove where the joints meet, you don't have to mess with the whole flat surface. Basically create a oval dimple. Looks great though!

The tail piece? Or both pieces? Not sure i understand completely.

9 minutes ago, trnsfererr said:

The tail piece? Or both pieces? Not sure i understand completely.

The second joint, where you cut the angle to separate the 2 pieces. Bevel out a dimple where the first joint hits the second joint, basically helping the first joint (Head Piece) travel further so it can glide wider.