First 3:16 fish

FishDr

A friend and I went on an overnight trip where the plan was to throw frogs and swimbaits, and perhaps other baits (but only if necessary) for bass. My goals for the trip were to:

1. Catch a fish on the 3:16 Rising Son

2. Catch a fish on my sole Wake Jr.

3. Catch a fish on the CL8 Bait Baby Possum

While I did end up with 15 or 16 fish, total, I didn't do so well on the list of goals. Here's the breakdown (and plea for help).

Goal 1 - I threw the Rising Son a fair bit (perhaps 1 - 1.5 h) and had one solid strike on it, during a time when the fish were pounding my friend's wake/prop bait. I swung for the fences, and...nothing. I'm getting really frustrated because I know other people are spanking fish on the RS and I can't hook one to save my life. The bait is lubed, I'm using 25-lb line and I'm swinging with my big boy pants on. What gives?

Goal 2 - I caught 2 fish on the Wake Jr. Interesting story here - my friend was flat spanking the fish (and me) on a whopper plopper. I could hear the strikes from far away (as far away as I could get...the whuppin' I was getting was severe) and when I finally relented and headed to the same area, I first threw my standard bait, the 9" Slammer. No love. Switched to the noisier Wake Jr. and it got hit once (farmed the fish) and a little later got hit again, twice (landed those 2). Not huge fish, but hey, a first fish is a first fish is a first fish. No pics, because my usual camera was at home with my son and I was too chicken to try to use my cell phone to take pics at night in the middle of a lake from my pontoon (no way to attach a float to the cell phone, unlike my usual camera).

Gaol 3 - No luck. The possum saw about 2 hours of swimming time both under the cover of darkness and by day. I'm beginning to think it might be more effective as a target bait, something I throw at specific targets, rather than an area bait like the Slammer at night where I was fishing an area I knew held fish, but wasn't trying to target specific spots in that area.

Overall, it was a good trip. My biggest fish went 20" on a frog, I had a number of fish choke the G2 shellcracker (it was my most productive bait), and other fish fell to the Slammer and the Wake Jr. Total numbers were decent too - I ended up with 15 or 16, and my friend had 16 or 17 fish, with his biggest going about 23". He did take some pics of a couple of our fish (with his cell phone - he's braver than I am), so when I get them I'll post 'em.

If the fish are feeding actively at night, I will work a Wake Jr. pretty aggressively. By that I mean that every 6-10 ft. I will give it a couple of really solid pops so that it sounds like a small fish feeding on the surface. I have caught some really nice fish doing that on Lake Austin, including one that pulled my kayak like a dog sled before she shook the bait loose.

Practice with it during the day until you can do the 'tail slap' very loud every time. I am convinced the big fish think it's a smaller fish chasing something on the top and come running. I don't get numbers that way, but the average night fish I've caught this summer is in the 6-7lb range.

If the fish are feeding actively at night, I will work a Wake Jr. pretty aggressively. By that I mean that every 6-10 ft. I will give it a couple of really solid pops so that it sounds like a small fish feeding on the surface. I have caught some really nice fish doing that on Lake Austin, including one that pulled my kayak like a dog sled before she shook the bait loose.

Practice with it during the day until you can do the 'tail slap' very loud every time. I am convinced the big fish think it's a smaller fish chasing something on the top and come running. I don't get numbers that way, but the average night fish I've caught this summer is in the 6-7lb range.

Thanks for the tip! When you have fish that average 6 - 7 lbs, it makes me want to move to TX!

The way the eat the Rising son MOST of the time I use a reel set. Not a bait I personally feel the need to "swing for the fences" with. They eat it, steady pressure those hooks penetrate, baits slides up the line, and keep on em. Much like a trebled hard bait, and the way the tail collapes they usually get the whole thing even if the bait isnt sliding up the line. Like mentioned could always be smaller fish. Everyone has their preferences though. All my possum fish have been on straight retrieves, but I get a ton of follows when I twitch and walk the hell out of that thing. That head starts darting and that big tail swings and it looks killer in the water. Keep playing with it. ;)

The way the eat the Rising son MOST of the time I use a reel set. Not a bait I personally feel the need to "swing for the fences" with. They eat it, steady pressure those hooks penetrate, baits slides up the line, and keep on em. Much like a trebled hard bait, and the way the tail collapes they usually get the whole thing even if the bait isnt sliding up the line. Like mentioned could always be smaller fish. Everyone has their preferences though. All my possum fish have been on straight retrieves, but I get a ton of follows when I twitch and walk the hell out of that thing. That head starts darting and that big tail swings and it looks killer in the water. Keep playing with it. ;)

+1 definitely wanna reel down until you "feel weight" before swinging(i use a sweep to the side) on them.

The way the eat the Rising son MOST of the time I use a reel set. Not a bait I personally feel the need to "swing for the fences" with.

I agree. When I feel pressure, I use a short, sharp hookset. I don't yank it.

Thanks for the tip! When you have fish that average 6 - 7 lbs, it makes me want to move to TX!

All the fish aren't that size, but a big topwater at night constantly gets the fat chicks to come out and play.

About half of the fish I get to hit the RS do not really demolish the bait. They hit solid enough to feel a nice thunk but they either gum the middle section or the tail and do not get the hook. The other half swallow the head and get hooked easily. Its just a matter of getting a lot of hits and connecting on some with patience.

I was working the Wake Jr. with a steady, slow retrieve, with the odd quick slap/twitch thrown in. The RS was retrieved steadily (slowly), so that it bulged on the surface, much like a half-sunk buzzbait. I'll have to keep throwing it, but I do admit to a fair bit of frustration - I've had some wicked hits on the RS and I just can't hook fish on it.

Here are a couple of pics of the fish - they're not great, but they do show how one of the fish really liked the G2.

file-52.jpg

file-53.jpg

Thanks all, for the replies and advice. Now I've got to find time to get out there and practice some more.