3:16 Freestyle fishing ?

jiggerjake

When do you start "effectively" throwing 3:16 Freestyle ss shads/trout baits. You can give me a season or water temp as obviously  all areas of the country differ.Feel free to mention what types of areas and depth you prefer fishing them.

I’ve done the best with the shad in the summer and fall and I really like the floater version. The 8” trout did well for me this past year in the spring and fall and again I prefer the floater. 
My favorite bites on those baits come from giving it a good rip just as soon as it hits the water. They’ll either smoke it the second it moves or they’ll wait until it pauses after you rip it and then choke it down (probably why I like the floater so much). 

18 minutes ago, buzzed bait said:

I’ve done the best with the shad in the summer and fall and I really like the floater version. The 8” trout did well for me this past year in the spring and fall and again I prefer the floater. 
My favorite bites on those baits come from giving it a good rip just as soon as it hits the water. They’ll either smoke it the second it moves or they’ll wait until it pauses after you rip it and then choke it down (probably why I like the floater so much). 

Rip and pause always gets bit with freestyle floaters!

Because of reading on here how floaters are fished, I tried it for the first time and bang! It got smashed 

Erratic and aggressive twitches in rod tip, reel turns and pauses. Majority of the hits come at the pause 

Now the floating sport shad is one of my favorites. Can't wait til weather warms up 

Edited by SumoNinja

18 minutes ago, jiggerjake said:

Good deal. I would have thought the SS where the preferred bait of choice in the Freestyle lineup.

Each has their place. Both deadly but there's nothing like a topwater bite 

Edited by SumoNinja

I’ve had best luck with sinking models straight retrieve (varied speed) near bottom as well as jigging to imitate a dying fish making last attempt to escape.. but both can be nerve racking ways to fish an expensive bait (lost freestyle gill in dec :oops:). Have a FS top hook on order hoping this will get snagged less and pop free easier when it does.

On 2/9/2020 at 2:40 PM, buzzed bait said:

On 2/9/2020 at 4:46 PM, SumoNinja said:

Because of reading on here how floaters are fished, I tried it for the first time and bang! It got smashed 

Erratic and aggressive twitches in rod tip, reel turns and pauses. Majority of the hits come at the pause 

Now the floating sport shad is one of my favorites. Can't wait til weather warms up 

Last year was my first year fishing my Sport Shad floater and I love that thing. Got some solid advice on here about using an aggressive retrieve and it’s killer. Used mine through November. Like the guys above said, rip it and pause. I like burning and pausing it too.  

Nighttime is the right time anytime! Got this one in water around 45 degrees last spring just fishing slow with small twitches. Remember, just because a bait is made to fish a certain way, produces better for some people a certain way, or looks best fished a certain way.....doesn’t mean it’s the best way for it to produce for YOU! Have an open mind

87BACF1E-CB37-4CEE-8DE8-B59764713D59.jpeg

^^ What jesse said

U gotta try all retrieves to see what the fish in your waters want. My first bite on my shad came on a steady slow/medium retrieve. 

I lost that fish and got no more bites for about 30 minutes. As soon as I did the erratic retrieve I got bit 

I like my slowsinks! I know oui m weird lol  I fish them slow an steady, or I add a twitch/RIP in there. Burning it under the surface is always fun or RIP pause RIP pause. Think out side the box an hour good. Like Jesse said you cant really fish them wrong hence the name freestyle