FedEx, can't be right!

SKSlide

Try to make this short and sweet. I know shipping rods is an expensive business. I've shipped loads of them and eat the cost as the cost of doing business. It's painful. However,  today when I went to ship a rod as I have many times before , length and weight same..Ground was 234 dollars. That CAN'T be right. I expected it to be around 40 or more to Texas...I've shipped to Washington State, California Texas..all over ..234? Has to be a miscalculation?  45 is the most I've paid, 8 foot rod..which is what this is. American legacy tod tube..nothing out of the ordinary...

Similar experience or is this lady wrong?

Thanks

I use USPS, usually 30-40 from RI to Cali 

ups wanted like $200 and fedex was $214 or something 

if it’s over by an inch you get whacked with overages 

a lot of companies have stopped carrying anything over 7’11” for this exact reason 

Just curious. Thanks for sharing. I have never experienced this before. Maybe I can find another tube . will see what happens on Monday when I go back. Its absurd to have to pay 30 or 40 in my opinion but I have done it loads of times. 234? Lol... not gonna happen in my lifetime. 

Yeah - its a total stinking scam.  If the tube is over 96 inches, UPS and FedEx charge like $200 bucks. 

Here's the deal - the way they scam you is if your tube is anything OVER 95 inches (lets say 95.25" - they ROUND IT UP to 96".  If you get a representative who is a real stickler, thats what they will do.  I almost got into a fight with one of the guys once.  They told me it had to be under 96" and I went home and cut the tube and went back with it 95.5" and then he tried pulling that stunt on me.  

I just got a few custom rods from one of the guys on this forum, and he shipped it from Tennessee to me in NJ using USPS.  It was supposed to be delivered today but its been delayed - what a shock.  I'm not 100% comfortable using USPS for expensive stuff like this, but its really the only option price-wise.

Good luck man!

28 minutes ago, captainhookset said:

Yeah - its a total stinking scam.  If the tube is over 96 inches, UPS and FedEx charge like $200 bucks. 

Here's the deal - the way they scam you is if your tube is anything OVER 95 inches (lets say 95.25" - they ROUND IT UP to 96".  If you get a representative who is a real stickler, thats what they will do.  I almost got into a fight with one of the guys once.  They told me it had to be under 96" and I went home and cut the tube and went back with it 95.5" and then he tried pulling that stunt on me.  

I just got a few custom rods from one of the guys on this forum, and he shipped it from Tennessee to me in NJ using USPS.  It was supposed to be delivered today but its been delayed - what a shock.  I'm not 100% comfortable using USPS for expensive stuff like this, but its really the only option price-wise.

Good luck man!

I did the same thing goin back and forth and cutting the tube haha I almost lost my s____ on the worker 

they were measuring the length, then the width and addin it all up. 

If you go to a shipping store your will pay 2 to 3 times more than you would bringing your rod to UPS, FEDX, or USPS.    All these shipping stores double or triple the shipping cost.   

USPS is the cheapest,  only if you do it their web site logged into your account that anyone can create.  

The key is to use the smallest tube  to get you to max out the formula of  Length x width x height x circumference

9 hours ago, deaknh said:

I just went on usps Usps site and shipped a tube. 102" length 3" wide 3" high and 5" girth. $20 for priority. That's an 8' rod.

The price is also based on the zip code it is shipping to.   Coast to coast will run you about  $35 on average.

I have had all the issues stated above happen to me at USPS, FEDEX and UPS. Every place I seem to have some kind of problem or issue. I have tried to print the USPS label at home then drop it off the tube/rod at USPS but they still do not take it. Once I bring the tube to the counter they look at me like I'm insane. Even after I asked for the manager to look at it and prove its below the required dimensions they still will not take it. After the 3rd or 4th time showing up to USPS with a rod tube they recognize me and just tell me they don't ship that. Just gave up after that....  

FEDEX is the only one that will ship a rod for me in Pennsylvania. So I just stick to that for now on. its approximately $34 from PA to CA.

From what I noticed and talking to other people that ship rods it does seem to depend on the people working the counter (At least in my area).  USPS seems to be the cheapest, but you just got to find the right spot that knows the shipping rules.

on a side note.  USPS seems to be so rough with rods. I don't know if its just my USPS distribution center or what it is but this past summer I had 3 rods break through USPS. Never had a issue with Fedex or UPS 

Heres an important bit of info. When you bring your rod to the Post office, they will tell you the cheapest is retail ground, and it is, until they add on the "balloon" charge based on the rods height, often bumping a $17 charge to $37. Ask them to send it priority 2 day, it is often the same $17, with no balloon charge. They will not tell you this, as retail always comes up as the cheapest, never factoring in the balloon charge.