Full Setup recommendations

bake and waker

Just started tossing the big baits, but I’m hooked.  I currently have 2 setups....first is an IRod jr swim paired with a tranx 200 (20lb maxima) for 175’s and smaller baits.  Also got a loomis 955c and lexa 300 (65 pp) for the punker and hudds.  Problem is the 8” hudd feels heavy on the loomis.  I’m looking for a decent setup to better launch mainly the 8”-10” hudds and 10” Matt’s twitch and deadstick....and possibly the 250’s when I step my game up.  Im in SoCal so a rod that can handle the rat Tunas would be ideal as well.  I’m thinking of the Daiwa DX XH paired with a Cardiff 300 but am open to suggestions.  Heard the Dobyns fury is on the lighther end for the Matt’s and I think I’ll enjoy the full fork handle over the split grip on the okuma GuideSelect.  Thanks in advance...cheers!

The fury swimbait rod is foam not cork. FYI. 
I’m just getting started as well, so I can’t recommend much. I went with an F5 departure rod and really liked it the few times I’ve used it. Hopefully someone with a bit more experience can chime in. 

Edited by FishNY

Okuma guide select swimbait rods are very nice for the price.  Don't be so focused on what everyone else is using.  You are already on the right track.  Focus more on getting out and fishing. Bait in water is most important.  After you catch fish then make your adjustments.  I throw my rof 12s on okuma guide select XH paired with tranx 300 20 lb abrazx.  Rof 5s on okuma guide select H paired with curado 200 hg. Dobyns another great rod. So many great rods and reels out, it's 90 % personal preference. I'm in socal as well. Big fish here, just gotta put in the hours. Butch Brown Fred Hall show, don't miss it!

Couple things to remember. There’s obviously no single rod for everything. The perfect hard bait rod will never be the perfect soft bait rod. The 10” hudd and Matts are quite a bit heavier than the 250, so it wouldn’t be a matter of stepping up to it. If you’re hooked, dive right in. Don’t keep skimping on gear or you’ll kick yourself for it in very little time. Those baits mentioned are tough ones because you’re right in between an xh and an xxh rod. The champion is hard to beat. You’ll NEVER have to upgrade your rod. For those three baits, the 908 would be incredibly hard to beat. If you wanted to have a killer rod for the 4-7oz range also, the 867 would be the ticket. Just be aware that it will feel a little squirrelly on those 7-9oz bait casts. If I were fishing those three baits and others down to about 5oz and up to 12....I’d get a 908. 

• 3 weeks later...

How do y’all feel about chucking the 10” Matt’s DS & DT on a Phenix BD 909 deckhand jigstick.  With those baits I’m assuming sensitivity isnt going to play a factor, I just need to get the bait out there. Thoughts? TIA