Creating a dorsal fin (Real Deal)

El_Weruso

Hello SU members, 

I bought a real deal that had a broken dorsal fin, with some free time I got to fixing it. Included a pic of the weight I reduced out of it, it was a regular sink which wouldn't work at my waters.

Took the bait apart to make it easier to work with.

I drilled 2 holes that accommodated a small nail with the flat head sitting at the bottom of the hole which I Crazy glued on place. This will act as a reinforced 'post' so it doesn't break off. I bought some steelstik which I molded to get a rough dorsal fin and just sanding the rest of the way with a Dremel. Will post a pic when it's finished Not difficult at all to do

IMG_20200321_175254.jpg

IMG_20200321_175307.jpg

IMG_20200321_175318.jpg

IMG_20200321_175330.jpg

IMG_20200321_182950.jpg

IMG_20200321_182954.jpg

Edited by El_Weruso

7 minutes ago, 168 Rookie said:

That's pretty awesome man, wish I had the technical skills to undertake a project like that. Question: does not having a dorsal kill the action of the bait? Just curious if it's a performance project or purely aesthetic.

Thanks man, it's easy really. But that's a great question, I hadn't thought of that but I'm fairly certain it wouldn't hinder the action if I left it as is. Just doing it for pure aesthetics though haha

Another ss realdeal bites the dust there hard enough to find in ss as is and everyone just goes around converting them lol either way fin looks good. If you would have asked the weigh for those is in the front section on the bottom below the joint could have just drilled there 

@Codyc It's not rocket science to add weight back into the bait. Mickey never answered my questions on where the weight was so i had to find it myself, otherwise i wouldn't have drilled it in this manner. Once i took it apart i saw the column in the front section with all of the weight. IMO it doesn't swim well on a moderate to fast retrieve so i reel it very slow, in my shallow waters it would 100% snag if i reeled it normal and let it sink as it would. I've mentioned before, if the bait doesn't do what i need it to for my fishing style it's worthless.

Edited by El_Weruso