Power handles for Curado 301D, 301E

FishDr

I am interested in setting up a couple of my Curado's with power handles and was wondering what brands and models people recommend.  I have a pair of Curado 301Ds and a pair of Curado 301Es and I am thinking about upgrading one of each.

I realize these are pretty old reels, but I'm hoping that there are some options still out there.

Curado D already has a special designed handle. Why mess with that design? The 301 E is a different story. The counterbalanced handle will set you back close to $80. The normal $25 ish power handle they say is defective since it may engage the spool prematurely. 

Edited by bigpoppabass

19 hours ago, bigpoppabass said:

Curado D already has a special designed handle. Why mess with that design? The 301 E is a different story. The counterbalanced handle will set you back close to $80. The normal $25 ish power handle they say is defective since it may engage the spool prematurely. 

It does?  I had never noticed that...but now that I look at the 301s they do have different (and larger) handles than my other Shimano reels.  I guess I'm mainly just suffering from cabin fever and looking for things to tinker with.  Thank you all for the replies - I'll need to think about this some more, but I'm glad there are some options.  Those of you who've used the 300 EJs, does it make a big difference in the feel of the reel?

6 hours ago, FishDr said:

It does?  I had never noticed that...but now that I look at the 301s they do have different (and larger) handles than my other Shimano reels.  I guess I'm mainly just suffering from cabin fever and looking for things to tinker with.  Thank you all for the replies - I'll need to think about this some more, but I'm glad there are some options.  Those of you who've used the 300 EJs, does it make a big difference in the feel of the reel?

Just look at any promo video of the Calcutta d on utube. Dahlberg has one I think. The design idea is they placed the handle inside of drag star for extra torque.