Looking Into Buying Some Swimbait Blanks for NH Bass

CTBfishing

I am new to swim bait fishing and the cost of baits really makes it a hard technique to get involved in. I have experience airbrushing lures, applying epoxy, coats etc, so I figured that I should buy several lure blanks of swim baits and paint them up (a much cheaper alternative to buying baits)I recently found a reliable website that sells many different swim bait blanks. Currently I do not know what swim baits I should buy. Here are the options of blanks they offer:

Imakatsu gillroid jr

Megabass I-slide 4.5 Float (triple joint)

Megabass I-slide 4.5 Slow Sink (triple joint)

Megabass I-slide 7 Slow Sink (triple joint)

Megabass I-slide 7 Float (triple joint)

Megabass I-slide 5.5 Float (double joint)

Evergreen Sea Drive 5.5 Slow Sink

Imakatsu Nonkee 7 Slow Float

BBZ 180 Float

Fish Arrow Huddle Jack 4.5 Slow Sink

I was wondering which of these baits would work best for New England Bass in the 4-8 pound range. I am looking in buying around a total of five blanks and would really appreciate some help choosing. Tight Lines!

@CTBfishing 

I haven’t used any of those swimbaits so I’m not much help there. But I’m curious as to why buying blanks and painting them is the cheaper alternative? Would that be in regards to just wanting custom colors only? If not, there are tons of proven, fish catching swimbaits available nowadays for under $50 each— or even $30 each already painted ready to go! If you’d like a starter list of baits there are many threads you can find or just ask and myself and other members will reply back with some ideas. 

It’s also best to cover each category of swimbaits as far as the swim/action when starting out. The list above looks limited to just a few categories. 

Hey OP, my old man gifted me a few of these blanks at the end of last season so I'd have a winter project. $4.50 apiece, 8", and the glide/sink rate is actually pretty good on them. This site has a bunch of different body styles to choose from, this links directly to the 8" trout.

https://backwateroutfitting.com/product/8-trout-unpainted-glidebait/

A few pics below of what you get and of couple of my bootleg rattlecan+nail polish paint jobs. Not pro-style, but a fun project and really satisfying to send something you've worked on yourself. Good luck and tight lines!

20191010_224238.jpg

20191107_173243.jpg

20191031_022650.jpg

• 10 months later...
On 4/12/2020 at 9:00 AM, 168 Rookie said:

Hey OP, my old man gifted me a few of these blanks at the end of last season so I'd have a winter project. $4.50 apiece, 8", and the glide/sink rate is actually pretty good on them. This site has a bunch of different body styles to choose from, this links directly to the 8" trout.

https://backwateroutfitting.com/product/8-trout-unpainted-glidebait/

A few pics below of what you get and of couple of my bootleg rattlecan+nail polish paint jobs. Not pro-style, but a fun project and really satisfying to send something you've worked on yourself. Good luck and tight lines!

20191010_224238.jpg

20191107_173243.jpg

20191031_022650.jpg

Hey sorry I know this is old but have been thinking about getting some of those blanks and was wondering how they swim? Thanks!

8 hours ago, Thiskidlikes2fish said:

Hey sorry I know this is old but have been thinking about getting some of those blanks and was wondering how they swim? Thanks!

They actually swim pretty good for cheap blanks--I'd say about 85-90% of the action you'd get out of an S-Waver. They're medium sink (of course you can adjust this by the hook size you use) they sink level, and they stay level while you work it back, not nosing down or up that I noticed. I'm not disappointed in them for sure.