Anybody fishing from a float tube?

Doomlurker

Get one with big pockets for food and bait/tackle storage. Get a comfortable set of flippers

Look up diy rodholders. I'll take pics of my simple but effective setup that meets my needs and post it in a bit 

8 minutes ago, SumoNinja said:

Get one with big pockets for food and bait/tackle storage. Get a comfortable set of flippers

Look up diy rodholders. I'll take pics of my simple but effective setup that meets my needs and post it in a bit 

What flippers are you using? I’ve been looking at the Cumberland tube by classic accessories, which looks to have some nice sized pockets

4 minutes ago, Doomlurker said:

What flippers are you using? I’ve been looking at the Cumberland tube by classic accessories, which looks to have some nice sized pockets

I use a set of flippers that my brother gave me. Idk the brand and they are not the best or most comfortable but I use them because they work.  I suggested that u get one that's comfortable because I've tried on flippers that were just more comfortable than mine so that might matter to u.

Mine is a Cumberland too. I think its around 200 retail but I bought it new in box second hand for 150 on offer up so I got lucky. Some lady had it and meant to use it bit just never did. But I've used other cheap ones and this Cumberland, I would say, is the way to go. The seat actually seat you above water. Don't get the ones that doesn't have a seat, and is more of a sheet of material where u sit on it like a swing or hammock type seat and your ass is in the water. With the Cumberland you sit about water. Even though water will get on the seat and your ass will get wet, but it's more comfortable. 

I have this diy rod holder that can hold 4 rods. 

I usually bring 2 or 3 rods with me and mainly use the rod holders on my left since I cast right handed over my right shoulder so I can over hand cast without worrying that I'll hit my rods. 

I made 4 rod holders just so i have the option to bring that many rods if i should choose to. Also notice the angles of the rod holders, the one angled forward is for ease of access if I should need to momentarily put down the rod I'm currently fishing. The rod holders on the back are angled toward the back so that they're out of my way as much as possible 

If u zoom into the pics u can see the rod holder is just held onto the tube by ropes. Its easily removed if I wanna wash my tube because sometimes algae collect 

20200503_115705.jpg

20200503_115648.jpg

20200503_115618.jpg

20200503_115249.jpg

Just now, Doomlurker said:

Sweet rig sumo, thanks for sharing the info and pics 

For sure no problem. YouTube has a bunch of diy rod holders with all the parts, sizes and qty u need.  Post some pics once you got a setup. Good luck brotha 

Cumberland is the way to go! And here’s my rod holder set up, instructions form you tube . Also purchase some back pack straps, it will make such a difference getting to and from spots! For Fins I used the Turbo fins with booties! It’s my favorite way to fish! 

B5A14948-E514-4E2A-8402-E78D208C460D.jpeg

3D4CEEDF-7BAD-46E2-833B-F5F93E2D905C.jpeg

D67A20D6-1581-441E-AB45-716E03A934C9.jpeg

I fish out of a couple tubes. I use an outcast prowler which is the biggest baddest tube you can get. It’s not the fastest but to me it’s the most comfortable and stable tube I’ve fished from over the past 25 years. I also have an outcast trinity for long hike in lakes as it only weighs 7 lbs. it does the job but if I can handle the walk with the prowler that is what I use. Of all the fins I’ve tried I have settled on force fins as the fin I use. They are comfortable and offer good propulsion with less resistance in kicking effort. I too use backpack straps to carry the tubes into lakes. I was able to locate a pump at Dick’s sporting goods that works fast for inflating a tube. As far as I can tell it’s the same as the Outcast float tube pump at a fraction of the cost. The pump is a DBX 12V High Pressure Air Pump from Dick’s at 50$. I’m on year 3 on mine. 

I fished out of a tube for over 10 yrs maybe longer. IMO if you are not using Force Fins then you are just wasting energy. They are formed so that you are pushing more water where as flat fins just have water going off the sides. This is huge especially if you are going to be out on a long run.