Dc reels for swimbait

Mook

Thoughts on the conquest dc or anteres md for baits up to 5 oz. gonna be putting it on a ldc 8’ mh. Gonna he using it mostly for gill glides and other  small glides 

Do you like rounds or low profiles?  I thought I could use both and now find myself avoiding rounds and looking for ways to not use them.  Dang good reels too!  Just dont feel good in hand to me...several conquests and a really light and maybe better casting luna later.  

Cant speak to conquest DC.  Never thrown one.  Antares DC monster drive is the smoothest and longest casting medium swimbait reel I own.  For baits up to 5 oz, it would be hard to beat in my book unless you just want more line cap or slower retrieve rate.  

20200411_183120.jpg

Edited by grumbler

1 hour ago, grumbler said:

Do you like rounds or low profiles?  I thought I could use both and now find myself avoiding rounds and looking for ways to not use them.  Dang good reels too!  Just dont feel good in hand to me...several conquests and a really light and maybe better casting luna later.  

Cant speak to conquest DC.  Never thrown one.  Antares DC monster drive is the smoothest and longest casting medium swimbait reel I own.  For baits up to 5 oz, it would be hard to beat in my book unless you just want more line cap or slower retrieve rate.  

20200411_183120.jpg

Appreciate the responses. I prefer low profile reels. The Calcutta dc looked  a little bulky for a 200 reel. I also like the faster gear ratio on the Antares. Definitely leaning more towards the anteres 

1 hour ago, Bass_blaster said:

I’m interested in the Antares/Calcutta DC reels. Top of the line for sure. But just saw the Exsense DC for sale for $349. So now not totally sure what to do...

Just to let you know thats not the top of the line one, its a completely different model released this year that was designed for braided line, mostly seabass fishing. The top of the line one still retails for the same price as the antares dc

46 minutes ago, Andrewwang1769 said:

Just to let you know thats not the top of the line one, its a completely different model released this year that was designed for braided line, mostly seabass fishing. The top of the line one still retails for the same price as the antares dc

Ah ok. Thanks for the clarification. 

Have you considered looking into the 2020 shimano exsence DC? Just trying g to provide another option. I just ordered one for my “mid” sized baits. I was planning to top out at 3 maybe 4 ounces though. 

41 minutes ago, Londonmitch said:

Here’s a size comparison between the two. Antares feels bigger in my hand even though it’s low pro

1885209A-4C12-4BC7-A6C2-C49966C1D112.jpeg

4DB0AE52-F879-47C2-B67D-7E8A2D811698.jpeg

3790EB86-DEC6-447D-90D4-7DE5ADBB0B04.jpeg

Since you have both, if you had to pick a favorite, which would it be?

15 minutes ago, Bass_blaster said:

Since you have both, if you had to pick a favorite, which would it be?

Really depends how you fish. If you want a fast reel the Antares is the one. I just don’t use it nearly as much as the Conquest 4.8:1 because it’s just too fast for me. The DC200HG 6.2:1 is sort of in the middle of the two. Haven’t had a chance to fish mine as much either  

Antares Perfect for glides and things like that. Can’t go wrong with either of them 

• 8 months later...
On 5/20/2020 at 5:35 PM, Londonmitch said:

Here’s a size comparison between the two. Antares feels bigger in my hand even though it’s low pro

1885209A-4C12-4BC7-A6C2-C49966C1D112.jpeg

4DB0AE52-F879-47C2-B67D-7E8A2D811698.jpeg

3790EB86-DEC6-447D-90D4-7DE5ADBB0B04.jpeg

Up to what size of baits would you throw the antares? I've purchased the conquest 201hg dc but I thinj the max of baits woukd be around 3/4oz range. Can the antares cast bigger stuff comfortably?