need tips for consistent resin casting

carwij04

Just started resin casting and curious as to how you guys get consistently smooth pours. I've gotten the right formula to get the sink rate I want but I have these little bumps that form (picture below) and I'm not sure how I can get rid of them. any help is appreciated. thanks!IMG_6502.thumb.jpeg.b6d13b54f05da71d28e9740d55bb4763.jpeg

6 minutes ago, TootsMalone said:

Have you cut into one to see if it’s an air bubble below the surface? If that isnt it, i’d say look at your molds or try a new resin 

yes they are air bubbles, they only pop up at the surface of the bait but on the interior I don't see any.

1 hour ago, carwij04 said:

yes they are air bubbles, they only pop up at the surface of the bait but on the interior I don't see any.

If they’re air bubbles there are a bunch of stuff to consider. You could switch to a slower setting resin. try baby powder on your molds, this can help keep bubbles from sticking to the inside of the mold. Pour down one side of the inside of the mold with as thin a stream as possible while still getting it all in there before it sets. Your fix will most likely be a combo of things. I wish you the best of luck 

1 hour ago, Rogervang said:

Do you stir fast? Do you let it fully care before you demold?

On that specific bait I stirred for 3 minutes until I saw the micro balloons starting to form and then demolded it after an hour. It says on the package that the demold time is approx. 30-60 minutes but when I took it out it didn’t feel fully dried.

2 hours ago, TootsMalone said:

If they’re air bubbles there are a bunch of stuff to consider. You could switch to a slower setting resin. try baby powder on your molds, this can help keep bubbles from sticking to the inside of the mold. Pour down one side of the inside of the mold with as thin a stream as possible while still getting it all in there before it sets. Your fix will most likely be a combo of things. I wish you the best of luck 

Thanks for the advice, I’m currently using slow set 7 as many guys suggested it on here. Will give the baby powder a try

I had the bubbling issue on my first 2 casts but as Roger and Bryan have mentioned. I use the Alumi Slow set 7 and stir firmly without creating bubbles and pour with a very thin steady stream to eliminate bubbles. Glad you got your ratio down, i'm still working on getting the MB to Resin ratio down